Compression?

• 33 Replies

jkrguitar

Re: Compression?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »
Some compression on cleans can be good(as in a dedicated compressor), compression on gain sounds are a little redundant.  As guitarists, we all like some compression.
 A lot of folks think badly about it, then crank the gain knob or are boosting the front end of their amps with od/boost pedals(which, gives you compression lol).  We all crave that cranked tube tone, which gives you.......some compression.  A lot of amps are more compressed by nature and you're not really thinking about it.

If you're wanting more sustain/compression....I suggest a clean boost in front of the amp(if it's tube) and driving the front end to taste.  For the price/bang for the buck...try the MXR microamp.  That will get you there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:42:20 PM by jkrguitar »

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 01:18:36 AM »
To revisit this topic I would like to say I've been using a Guyatone Compressor and I'm very happy with it.

City this one might be good for you because it has a switch that blends the dry signal into the compression and even without that engaged the thing is uber transparent.

Combine that with low pedalboard real estate and you've got a little fella that is just made of win

Also it's one of the few pedals I'd ever call adorable :madness:
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

customguitar

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
I use both the boss cs-2 and a digitech digicomp and i can say the digicomp squeezes more than anything thing.  I like the cs-2 more for sustain but when i need an acoustic type sound, i lean on the digicomp even tho its cheap

Offline mi2tom

• I love playing guitar :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »
I hate compression if in dirty mode but I like compression on clean settings, I hate anything that can kill picking dynamics.

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 11:13:46 AM »
That's what I'm trying to say about the Guyatone.

Granted I haven't tried one of those schmancy comp units with the vacuum tubes but the blend switch is totally worth looking into because it helps preserve picking dynamics which is what everyone including myself hates about most compression units.  And for under a hundred dollars the thing is practically begging you
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 01:03:33 AM »
I hate Compression.

I prefer my sustain to come naturally, through the guitar's vibration. Nothing can compare to that imho.

palaceplayer

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 06:02:15 PM »
this is an old topic.....still interesting though.

I've started to use a lot of clean tones and need the extra sustain that would come from a distorted tone....I also need a slight boost in volume

I use a pigtronix philosopher's tone. It does color your tone very slightly and affect dynamics. But only in the most extreme settings.

The barber compressor is also very good and even more transparent. But it doesn't do the infinite sustain thing as well as the pigtronix.

T-Funk Ian

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 06:12:42 AM »
this is an old topic.....still interesting though.

I've started to use a lot of clean tones and need the extra sustain that would come from a distorted tone....I also need a slight boost in volume

I use a pigtronix philosopher's tone. It does color your tone very slightly and affect dynamics. But only in the most extreme settings.

The barber compressor is also very good and even more transparent. But it doesn't do the infinite sustain thing as well as the pigtronix.

I actually just picked up a Pigtronix Philosophers Tone.  I like it a lot for my clean sound but it added a bit too much noise running into a distortion pedal.  I've found that the Mad Professor Forest Green Comp is better for me in that department.  I sent it to "SUSTAIN" mode and hit it somewhat hard.

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »
Most pedal compressors are terrible, that's the problem.

This.  The commonly used compressor pedals (MXR, etc.) are crap if you ask me.  And the result for many guitarists who try these awful compressor pedals is that they don't understand how good compression can take a good tone and make it a great one, especially for cleans, because the crap compressors they've tried are robbing them of their precious dynamics.  And they're right. 

One rule of thumb for compressor pedals is if it's got less than 3 knobs, definitely avoid it.  For me, the key to getting a good compressed tone is delaying the attack, so the front end of your notes stays unaffected (leaving your picking dynamics alone for the most part) while still giving you the creamy saturation that you want without adding gain.  But just because a comp pedal has 3+ knobs doesn't mean it's going to be good.  Even with an attack rate control, many pedal compressors still suck ass, because they don't attack smoothly enough.  Like you hear a plunging sound when the compressor kicks in.  That's not what you want, either.

Again I have to give Rocktron some love here.  Their pedals are all pro rack gear pedigree, and their compressor pedals are fabulous, at least with the attack turned up high (to make it kick in more slowly).  No weird plunging as the compressor kicks in, and it affects short notes and picking dynamics little if any, while still giving all the deliciousness to the notes and chords you do want to sustain.  Plus they're fairly cheap.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

palaceplayer

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 01:38:59 PM »

I actually just picked up a Pigtronix Philosophers Tone.  I like it a lot for my clean sound but it added a bit too much noise running into a distortion pedal.  I've found that the Mad Professor Forest Green Comp is better for me in that department.  I sent it to "SUSTAIN" mode and hit it somewhat hard.

I use the PT 90% on clean parts. Not cause it doesn't sound good on dirty parts, but I just think distortion adds a lot of compression anyway. I do however kick it in on dirty parts for some crazy never ending sustain.....switch to the neck pickup and it's almost like your playing a keyboard.

Offline blueman61

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »
I think of compression as a sound, not a way to increase sustain. Different compressors impart different qualities to the note. One of the reasons I like the Barber Tone Press so much is that it's blend control allows you to dial in the amount of compressed sound in proportion to the straight sound....very useful. Used judiciously, I don't think compression eliminates picking dynamics, I think it changes how one approaches them. I came late to the compression party and used to really hate them until I figured out ways to use them in my playing. Now I love them. The Tone Press  and Analogman Man's Comprosser and Juicer are my personal faves. I've also heard raves about the Diamond Compressor, but haven't tried one yet. of course that's an Optical Compressor which is a different animal from the Ross/Dynacomp clones and the Armstrong Orange Squeezer.   
"the best revenge is not to be like that" - Marcus Aurelius

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
I guess people have to understand that each string does not vibrate with equal volume necessarily, not to mention certain double bend notes won't ring out long enough in relation of strings that are not bend or strings being picked in an open position. Thus comes the compressor pedal. I would like to grab a Barber Tone Press someday...

themarzio

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »
I never use compression. the tone should be natural. every touch should be sensible.

Offline HipKitty

• View Profile
    • HipKitty Products
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 11:26:20 PM »
Analog Kid is correct. There are a few comps, specifically in a pedal format, that work well with guitars in a true transparent fashion, which allow picking dynamics to shine. They are out there. The key is a low compression ratio with the ability to provide makeup gain and push the front end of the amp a little. I can say, the cheap Chinese pedals won't get you there.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2016, 03:19:51 AM »

Another vote for the Barber Tone Press.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b