Humbucker From Hell

• 43 Replies

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
Humbucker From Hell
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:31:44 AM »
Okay, I've been on this forum a couple months now and in that time odds are I've been singing the praises for this pickup.

DiMarzio describes this pup as being glassey and combining the sound of a Strat and the power of a PAF and I'd be inclined to agree.  The HFH in the neck position does a very convincing job of producing strat neck tones in Les Pauls but with a somewhat bigger, thicker sound while retaining a clean, bright tone with the highs slightly rolled that I've been able to use for anything between Blues Rock and Jazz.  Dirty up the HFH and you have a smooth but still defined lead tone perfect for sustaining two hand tapping and legato work especially with the tone rolled down to taste.

My experience using the HFH with a Mo'Joe and Norton in the bridge has also made me quite fond of the middle configuration's tone which in both cases has been configured to be more in favor of the HFH to produce a very nice tone that I can only liken to guitarists like Jimmy Page (think like the first solo from The Ocean or Black Dog) and Mick Ronson (like the clean electric guitar in Space Oddity) or perhaps early Gin Blossoms because played clean it is chimey but still lush and dirty it is nasty and pronounced.

The pickup also handles effects well as I will attest to in this somewhat okay video footage of my band performing live with most of the playing and all of the guitar soloing being done through the HFH using distortion, chorus, delay and boost as fit.
I plan on posting actual sound clips in a few days once I get a real microphone if not before that. :madness:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3xYGXilYSQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fuser%2Fseafooddynamite&feature=player_profilepage[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 02:21:57 PM by CityofBlindingLights »
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
Re: Humbucker From Hell
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »
Nice man, thanks for posting that. +1 Karma for youuuuuu!

Edited to embed your clip into your post, hope you don't mind.

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »
Not at all man!   Im horribe at video editing so when I learn how to convert VOB files into something i can cut apart I will have more

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »
I should add that I wanted to make a les paul sound like a strat for some time and this was all that came close neckwise

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:44:07 PM »
That's what the HFH is for man

DocNrock

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »
Nice clip!

I have the HfH in a Jackson PS-4, neck slot.  I get a great Knopfleresqe tone out of it.

Jimbojones

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »
I have the HFH in my RG and it is by far my favorite pickup to put in the neck. I have gone through a bunch of bridge pups, but for some reason I just cannot let this one go. It is so clean and very unique. I think some may be put off by the name as it sounds like some kind of Metal high gain thing, but it is absolutely the cleanest humbucker out there. I love how mellow it is, and it may be a bit on the trebly side, but having the a nice open neck pup is freakin awesome. Before I got this, I NEVER used my neck pickup, and now more often than not I find myself playing the neck. I cannot say enough good things about this pickup.

arellanon

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:34:23 PM »
The Humbucker From Hell is on of DiMarzio's most unique pups. I have used it at the neck and bridge positions of a Kramer Striker and in both instances it sounded good. It has a very nice acoustic sound and its distorted nature is clean and aritculate. I can't wait to try in on the neck of a hardtail; I will definitely update when I do.

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile

Offline Tom63

• My Red Special.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »
CLIP

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/user_uploads/luredmaul/HFH.mp3
Wow it really does sound like a single coil when clean. Would like to hear it with a bit of gain on though, if you've got the time of course. :)
"Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a prisoner of my own hair!" -Brian May

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 12:54:56 AM »
Gotta get it back in somethin first shouldn't be too long.

alfaromeo90

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »
What is the best body wood for the Humbucker from Hell?

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 07:21:13 PM »

It'll work well in anything. In mahogany, it has a more shimmery, acoustic-like quality, while in swamp ash it's a bit more stratty, and definitely snappier.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »

In my experience, it works with pretty much anything. There's no "best wood" but rather what would give you the best net effect in terms of the tone you're looking for.  I had a set of them in an Ibanez J Custom Rg1302 with a swamp ash body and it seriously sounded like a super loud strat! In a mahogany bodied, maple capped Les Paul, it's very open sounding. I'd say it's a VERY good pickup for a Les Paul if you find that the neck tone is always a little too dark.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline mi2tom

• I love playing guitar :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 12:39:07 AM »
How does the HFH sounded in split?