Chopper T in tele bridge - 250k or 500k tone pot ?

• 4 Replies

Offline iGeetjis

• View Profile
Chopper T in tele bridge - 250k or 500k tone pot ?
« on: August 24, 2022, 11:34:53 PM »
fender tele with these pups:
Harmonic Design S-90 in neck position
Dimarzio Chopper T bridge position

dimarzio diagram calls for 500k tone pot but in my tele the pots are 250k V & T.

will this make much of an issue or should i need to put in a 500k tone pot?

also to verify, to keep the Chopper in phase with the single coil neck pickup i should make the Green wire hot and the Red wire ground versus other way around?

tia

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Chopper T in tele bridge - 250k or 500k tone pot ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 01:57:09 AM »
Hi,
I use the Chopper T in a Tele with 250K Pots. Usually I roll off the tone a bit, because there is still plenty of treble with 250K pots. If you like it really bright, go for the 500K. If not, the 250K should be fine. Concerning polarity, I cannot tell you exactly, because I don't have any experience with Harmonic Design pickups. However, with a Tele it's so easy to remove the control plate and swap connections, that I would simply try it the way you expect it to be. If it turns out to be wrong, it's a matter of minutes to change it.
Hope that helps,
Jörg

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 04:56:38 AM »
I use(d) 500k volume pot with the Chopper but I would first try it with the pots you have - if you like it you're done. If not, you can still swap.

Cheers, Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline iGeetjis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 09:30:03 PM »
Hi,
I use the Chopper T in a Tele with 250K Pots. Usually I roll off the tone a bit, because there is still plenty of treble with 250K pots. If you like it really bright, go for the 500K. If not, the 250K should be fine. Concerning polarity, I cannot tell you exactly, because I don't have any experience with Harmonic Design pickups. However, with a Tele it's so easy to remove the control plate and swap connections, that I would simply try it the way you expect it to be. If it turns out to be wrong, it's a matter of minutes to change it.
Hope that helps,
Jörg

thanks for your reply.

i'll stick with the 250k then, happily. as too bright in tele isn't all that appealing to my ears. lol

thanks again

Offline iGeetjis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 09:36:02 PM »
I use(d) 500k volume pot with the Chopper but I would first try it with the pots you have - if you like it you're done. If not, you can still swap.

Cheers, Stephan

probably making this choice harder than it needed to be. lol  you & jR are on the same page. gonna try it .

thanks.