JCustom Bridge Pup Recommendations

• 7 Replies

Offline dfj

• View Profile
JCustom Bridge Pup Recommendations
« on: February 14, 2022, 11:40:29 PM »
Hey folks, hoping I could get some advice on a bridge pickup for my J custom 8570z. (mahogany maple cap)
It came with the classic Tone Zone, Velvet and air norton. Currently it has a Gravity storm neck, T-velvet and At-1 in the bridge. I've dug the At-1 for a bit, but I find the upper mid 'honk' to be way too half cocked wah for me. It almost sounds like a JB in this guitar and I've heard the two are similar. It isn't the amp or the eq as i've used numerous amps, cabs, sims etc... So far in the bridge it's been:

Tone zone- Not bad, still honky and didn't fit the guitar
Evolution- Horribly thin and raspy, just not a good pairing
Crunch lab- Bit to sterile for my taste
At-1- Great pickup, but still has the "Awh" vowel a bit too much.

I've thought about grabbing a Gravity storm bridge since I really dig the roundness of the neck. The At-1 is great, but for high gain it tends to just overwhelm the sound in the upper mids. On the high E it sounds like i'm pulling a Michael Schenker impression. Really looking for something that remains full up high and can nail harmonics, but not quite as honky as the At-1
Thanks much

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: JCustom Bridge Pup Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 12:32:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Of the pickups you mentioned I have played the Tone Zone and still play the AT-1. Never played the Gravity Storm but read that it tends to be on the darker side. If something "less honky" is the goal, Duncan Custom 5 is worth considering.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 03:38:21 PM »
The Norton or Gravity Storm bridge would be a good option. The Norton will be closer to what you have with the AT-1 with less of the nasally wah. I find the the Gravity Storm is bigger and tighter than the Norton. I actually like all three pickups (AT-1, Norton and Gravity Storm) and have the Gravity Storm set in my RG8670 which is very close to your RG8570z. I personally love the Gravity Storm set in there.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 03:40:46 PM by buddroyce »
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline dfj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 08:46:07 PM »
I've tried the custom before in another guitar, bit too scooped for me. The AT-1 is really great and super versatile overall, but the nasality up top with hi gain is just a bit too much here. A little is fine and adds character but right now it is super Schenker.  I like what Buddroyce sad about the G-storm so I think that might be the one. Ill wait a bit longer and see if any other folks would like to chime in before I pull the trigger.
Also couldn't figure out how to reply directly, sorry about that. New here ;D

BluesJam

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 12:58:27 AM »
Try a lower power output vintage humbucker.  Overwound coils cause the mid-range honk.   Try the 36 anniversary PAF.  You dont need super hot pickups to have a good tone.  You will get more headroom and dynamics with a vintage wind.

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 02:02:22 PM »
I was gonna make 2 comments:

1. DiMarzio has a lot of mid honk generally.  BMt is DiMarzio.  If this is in a band...let it go when alone.  You'll send great.  But Duncans tend to be more BmT.

2. Do you need a hot bridge?  Try a PAF style.

Get the dirt from the amp.,  Buy the EQ curve in the pickup, not the heat.

Offline HeyNorton!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 12:59:08 AM »
I was gonna make 2 comments:

1. DiMarzio has a lot of mid honk generally.  BMt is DiMarzio.  If this is in a band...let it go when alone.  You'll send great.  But Duncans tend to be more BmT.

2. Do you need a hot bridge?  Try a PAF style.

Get the dirt from the amp.,  Buy the EQ curve in the pickup, not the heat.

You sir, know your stuff.

I have been saying number 2 for years, to myself seemingly

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 03:12:09 AM »
Yep, that's correct. You don't really need high output for a fatter sound. It is more a guitar/pickup match.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b