Why doesn’t DiMarzio have any “named” pickup winders

• 21 Replies

BluesJam

Re: Why doesn’t DiMarzio have any “named” pickup winders
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 04:31:17 AM »
Whatever the pickup recipe is, the duplication of the coil cannot be exactly replicated by a human.  I’m sure DiMarzio and Duncan have computers that replicates the wind counts, scattering, and tension of every pickup for consistency.  Since every pickups output has advertised tolerances must be very exacting.  Maybe that is why DiMarzio only names the designers but not the winders.  The EVH article on the making of his pickups is quite good read.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 04:14:14 PM »
" I think they were for Robbin Crosby from Ratt"

That was some time ago.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

BluesJam

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 02:34:39 AM »
Excerpt from Premier Guitar on hand wound vs machine wound. “ In the early days of our instrument, pickups­ were wound by hand. They did have a motor to rotate the bobbin, but there was always a person standing next to the machine, guiding the wire by hand, which would lead to less consistent or loose windings, while an automated machine keeps tension and density constant. Handwound pickups are also called scatterwound, as the wires often crisscross diagonally over the bobbin. The theoretical result would be a slightly higher resistance, since more wire is used, and, thus, a minimally lower inductance and capacitance, but the differences are rather marginal since the lower density can lead to parts of the wiring being farther away from the stronger field. Practically, all these differences are hard to measure, and there should not be an inherent difference between handwound and machine-wound pickups.”

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2022, 08:17:03 AM »
the existence of a rockstar winder would indicate that there are variances in production that need to be looked at and if you think about it, it works both ways as some could also be worse than the baseline reference.

The term "handwound" is used very generously all over the place.

there's a lot to unpack with both of those comments.  lol!

the short version is that I'm not that much of a fan of the "rockstar" pickup winders concept...

and I think certain marketing approaches have fed in to way too many misconceptions about "handwound" and "scatterwound" and "calibrated set"... and I think one company is behind a lot of the phrasing used to sell over-priced products.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

BluesJam

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2022, 02:36:32 AM »
I agree with you DP.  There is a lot of voodoo science with guitar products.  Pre CNC, manufacturers could not replicate the exact winding profile of a pickup, it was made like guidelines.  I guess, in some cases a good CNC pickup winder would be more accurate than a human.  I’m assuming that DiMarzio has such technology in place to bring consistency to their product line.  I think todays pickups and materials are far superior in construction than vintage pickups. But, it would be cool if DiMarzio did have a person make limited edition models, which are replicated via CNC.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2022, 11:40:41 AM »
Because the whole "named winder" at a company that produces pickups en masse is garbage and marketing BS, designed to suck money out of the gullible, much like the word "vintage" when applied to anything made after '65.

BluesJam

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2022, 05:05:43 AM »
+1.   I agree.   DiMarzio’s are one one the most affordable USA Pickups.  They need a coil tapped version of the  FS1 in the lineup.