SSS: [SDS-1 neck, FS-1 middle, SDS-1 bridge,]

• 5 Replies

Offline ant_riv

• View Profile
SSS: [SDS-1 neck, FS-1 middle, SDS-1 bridge,]
« on: August 15, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »
I "rediscovered" my favorite strat over the weekend!
I figured Dimarzio lovers would appreciate this 'new' insight.

For years, I played a strat with an SDS-1 in the neck and bridge as my main guitar.
Then, in the early '80s, it seemed everyone discovered strats and so I replaced the original pups and put it aside.

Over the years, I'd pull it out, but it never excited me the way it did when I was younger.
I just assumed my tastes had changed.

So, a few weeks ago, someone was selling a pair of SDS-1 pups, I purchased them and I figured I'd try them out in this guitar.

WOW!
I fell in love with the guitar all over again.
The combination works SO GREAT for my needs in this guitar.
I can't believe it took me so long!

Anyone have similar stories? Or a joke about what a moron I've been?

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
Re: SSS: [SDS-1 neck, FS-1 middle, SDS-1 bridge,]
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:34:39 PM »
Happy you are excited about the pups,can you give a description of the tones???

Offline ant_riv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 02:31:20 AM »
Thank you for the reply!

I've heard the SDS described as P-90-ish. I am not familiar with P-90s, so I can't confirm or deny that. They are very strat-like at 5-7 on the volume controls, except they seem to have more mids and overall fullness. Above 7 up until full, they are more aggressive but still retain some stratiness. They seem to 'growl' a bit, which is what a P-90 is sometimes described as.

The FS-1 has more mid and roundness than a regular strat pup, but don't 'growl' when full up. Also, the 2-4 positions are strat-like with reduced volume and still funky (out of phase-ish) when full up.

It's been a couple of weeks and I'm still loving them as much as when I first plugged them in for the first time!

Offline HipKitty

• View Profile
    • HipKitty Products
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »
I totally understand your excitement. I had a Strat that I put an SDS1 in the bridge position, leaving the middle and neck pups stock....it allowed me to use my bridge volume as a lead boost....I backed the volume off to 6 or so until I needed the boost them dialed it up full. It wasn't a big volume jump as it was grind and added distortion.

Later on, on another Strat, I put in FS1's in all 3 slots....loved it that way for years.

Offline ant_riv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »
It's strange that neither seems to get much love, but they are both such excellent pups.

Although, them still being available after 40+ years probably indicates they are very popular items that sell well, but not "boutique" enough for us to brag about.

I certainly failed for the last ~30 years!

Right now, I'd really like to get three FS-1s to throw in a Partscaster!
I'm still loving the SDS/FS//SDS combo. I can see the FS trio working well too.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 04:04:53 AM »
Yngwie had three FS-1's in his strats in the Alcatrazz days and that's probably the best tone he ever had.