Replacement pickups for a H/S/H config

• 6 Replies

Offline blacksabbath16

• View Profile
Replacement pickups for a H/S/H config
« on: August 15, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
Hello all,

I own a Godin SDXT http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdxtp.htm I'd like to replace the pickups with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and a Dimarzio PAF PRO 36 anniversary in the neck, which leaves me with the single coil problem in the middle. What can I put in between those 2 great pickups that would sound great with them? I mostly play classic rock and Metal (UFO, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Alice in Chains etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks a million!

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Replacement pickups for a H/S/H config
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »
Id go for one of the Areas. You could also try a railbucker like The Cruiser but Ive never had much luck with those in the middle. I like pos. 2 and 4 to be bright and stringy and twangy so an Area would work well for that.

Offline ant_riv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 08:09:21 PM »
I have limited experience, but just put an FS-1 in the middle of an SSS and love it.

It's very 'strat-y' but higher output, and even with the SDS-1s in the neck and bridge, still gives a good 'strat-quack' in positions 2 & 4.

Offline blacksabbath16

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:03:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I just want to make the right choice since I'm pretty low on money. I can't afford to mess up :)

Offline ant_riv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 08:18:23 AM »
I certainly understand that!

When I started playing (back in the '70s), we had only a few choices, so choosing was much simpler.
Once a choice was made, we lived with it and learned to make it work.

Today, there are so many options, it's like picking the best potato chip from a bag of chips.
There are many that could be 'the one' but also many that could not work as well.

What I do, and what I'd recommend trying, is listen to people's suggestions, then try and find some YouTube videos to listen to and narrow it down.
Once you have made a choice, try to stop worrying/wondering if there is something better that you've missed, and focus on making it work. Avoid analysis paralysis!

Remind yourself that lots of great music was made with equipment that the musician simply made work for them because it was all that they could afford, or it was all that was available in that era.

Also, if you buy used, you can flip it for a minimal or no loss.

Best wishes for you finding what works for you!

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 11:15:37 AM »
It depends on what you want the middle and combined positions to do. Do you want to get strat-like tones and lower the output on the split positions? If so, the Area 58 or 67 would work. Do you want another full power humbucker type sound and stronger split positions? Then a Chopper would work well. If you want a little of both, the Cruiser neck or bridge model would work well depending on how much power you want from the bridge.

Remember that if you buy one and absolutely hate it, Dimarzio has a free swap policy. 

Offline blacksabbath16

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 02:09:57 PM »
I need maximum power for the Black Sabbath riffs and Alice in Chains! Guess a Chopper is the way to go :)