Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: The Air Norton
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »
The Air Norton 7 probably isn't the best thing around for metal or anything where you want a lot of percussive rhythms. It's designed to sound more fluid and would probably be best for the 7 string guitar players that aren't looking for seriously heavy crunch. I'd probably use a dual AN7 if I ever had to do something where the guitar is just there to FILL the void in the background and support a singer.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »
Only thing is that I wish the Air Norton had slightly more output. Could never seem to balance the volume of mine with a Tone Zone in the bridge (which is weird, as people seem to get along just fine). Whenever I set my Tone Zone to the right height (and the height adjustment on a Tone Zone is super sensitive IME), the Air Norton wouldn't be loud enough in the neck. If only Dimarzio made a neck pickup that had a Air Norton with higher output...

Offline Speeddemon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
Can more people attest to that the AN should sound brighter with the screw-pole pieces towards the bridge, when it's in the neck position?
I currently have it set-up in my Burny Les Paul, because the previous owner cut the leads really short (like 3") and while that was fine when I tried it in the bridge position, now in the neck position -with self-soldered leads added- it's not. Of course I could solder longer leads to it, but meh... ::)

Also, how do other people feel about its split and parallel tones?
I love how it adds some bluesyness when split, whereas parallel I found it a bit bland.
In use: 13x DiMarzio (7 gtrs), 7x Duncan (3 gtrs).
Got preference? ;)

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »
Can more people attest to that the AN should sound brighter with the screw-pole pieces towards the bridge, when it's in the neck position?

AFAIK, that is true...

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »
Something that gets mentioned rarely or not enough for me; a major bonus to this pickup is the ability to be be flipped over (installed with the screw coil towards the bridge) this lightens the low mid honk  that some may find MUDDY and translates it more into the realm of smooth thickness. I prefer the  Air norton this way.

That sounds very interesting. I was thinking of doing this mainly to get a staggered polarity in order to fit a P-style megaswitch which will give me the PRS combinations with two humbuckers without hum.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

will_1400

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »
I can vouch for the Air Norton having a brighter flavor when flipped. It's how I had mine installed in my LP.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 05:25:25 AM »
I flipped mine yesterday. I hear a difference but it is nothing drastic - which is good. I perceive it as a bit more open.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »
DiMarzio Air Norton Bridge Demo: http://youtu.be/u_l-vJ_yqN0

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 04:56:22 AM »
Here is a link to a thread in the LP Forum. See reply #12 for a description of Air Norton in the bridge and Bluesbucker in the neck.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140916&highlight=nash

I have that combination in a guitar that is acoustically rather dark sounding and it works very well.

Cheers Stephan

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:06 AM »
Forgive if this is out of line, but I saw that my video has over 1,300 views which had to have been driven mainly by this forum. Would folks like to see more DM demos on dimarzioforum?

Offline Speeddemon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 08:27:50 AM »
Here is a link to a thread in the LP Forum. See reply #12 for a description of Air Norton in the bridge and Bluesbucker in the neck.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140916&highlight=nash

I have that combination in a guitar that is acoustically rather dark sounding and it works very well.

Cheers Stephan
I can imagine. When I had the AN in the bridge of a bighter Les Paul, the combination was nice, but almost too vintage-y bright. You know, certain Les Pauls have that jangle, where others are way darker.
In use: 13x DiMarzio (7 gtrs), 7x Duncan (3 gtrs).
Got preference? ;)

Offline mertay

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 03:32:44 PM »
Did lots of modification to it over the years. Was much harder to feel confident compared to my tonezone but.best to my ears was (and still using it that way) is half-airing, magnet touches the screw coils while slugs are aired but still has metal spacer.

It gets very touch sensitive, more open sounding. Its the brightest I could get while still keeping it solid for shredding (so notes like 12. fret low E string doesn't sound bridge like).

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 09:17:47 PM »
Did lots of modification to it over the years. Was much harder to feel confident compared to my tonezone but.best to my ears was (and still using it that way) is half-airing, magnet touches the screw coils while slugs are aired but still has metal spacer.

It gets very touch sensitive, more open sounding. Its the brightest I could get while still keeping it solid for shredding (so notes like 12. fret low E string doesn't sound bridge like).

I agree with everything said. Fwiw, both AN and TZ sound a little brighter/clankier flipped around to my ears. I fiddled with TZ personally (it sounds incredible with small ceramic magnet and full hex poles), not so much with AN, since I just didn't want to ruin it (but I did however tried it with A8 in the bridge so thick and agressive but still pleasant sounding), AN is pretty great to begin with imo, though I'd love it to be just a tad brighter for the neck (as I'd love the same for Air Zone in neck too) without getting louder (not needed imo).

While most of my lesters have SuperDs since it is my favorite, I think that there's really something to the Norton/Air Norton combination in a les paul, sounds like it was intended to sound like that from the factory (with lack of better words to describe it).

Offline mertay

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 05:51:12 PM »
I'm not entirely sure about this but AN's nowadays has the screw poles connected with a metal part (while still aired)?

Mine didn't have this being from the 90's, when tested this that connection darkened the sound on cleans. But downside was without it distortion could get problematic on lots of gain which I guess is the reason they modified it.

Offline Sensates

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2016, 02:49:59 AM »
I usually prefer PAF types in the neck position, but if you have a 24 fretter that is bright, this might be the key to get a great, warm but clear sounding neck position. I'm surprised to see how well it suited for jazzy runs on my PRS SE Akerfeldt, the other PAFs I tried before are too hollow and dry sounding in that guitar.