Successful Strat extreme makeover

• 3 Replies

Offline Wildwind

• View Profile
Successful Strat extreme makeover
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
As mentioned earlier, my height adjustment progressed to a need for pickup surgery! My Melancon Pro Artist was running DiMarzio Areas - 61 in the bridge, 58s neck and middle. These had served me well for several years.

But something was driving me to make a change. I just could not find ear-pleasing tones any longer. This is the best Strat I've ever played - not the guitar's fault. And it has seen several pickup swaps (including a h/s/s pickguard - Melancon 'guards are a 10-hole pattern, not Fender compatible).

Last night, the Area 61 gave way to a DiMarzio Virtual Solo. The neck Area 58 gave way to a Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2. Both changes were made after asking a lot of questions and listening to countless demos.

Frankly, I think I just needed a change. But man! I got this one WAY right! The Virtual Solo seems to lie somewhere between a hot Strat and a humbucker. Maybe even a touch of Tele bridge in there. Whatever, I can now play it clean without rolling off the tone (wired directly to the bridge). And under gain, it sings wonderfully. Most thrilling to my ear bones!

The Heavy Blues 2, originally bought for the bridge, ended up in the neck. It is sublime! Hard to describe. More polite than the typical Strat neck pickup (always a great tone), warmer with a feathery edge that shimmers without being overly bright. Yeah, need more words for this one.

Other positions also benefit from these changes. In short, it's a new guitar! I haven't yet run it hard - will fix that starting after work and the weekend - but the hour I did run it (and heard it played by my friend who did the wiring) definitely thrilled me.

I have used DiMarzios for a long time now and decided to stick with them (I had looked at others, like MojoTones, Kinmans, and others) this time around. For me, this was a great decision to stay with the family.

More changes are coming. Virtual Vintage 54 Pro for the middle of the Melancon and my h/s/s Warmoth Strat. Maybe another for the neck of the Warmoth. My friend has his h/s/s Melancon set up with 54s neck and middle and I played that for a few minutes, then handed the guitar back and mumbled something about having to order more pickups.

Any thoughts? Will be selling some very nice Areas probably. Before I buy/build more guitars to re-home them.

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
Re: Successful Strat extreme makeover
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »
I use Virtual Solo in middle position between Evolutions in bridge and neck (HSH)
Really great pickup. So unique. Fatness of humbucker and still single coil. And I love how it interference with Evos even without coil tapping.

Offline Wildwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
Very cool! I had thoughts of getting one for the middle as well, but think I'll go with the VV 54 Pro. Obviously I need more Strats...

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:50 AM »
I use the Virtual Solo and the VV HB2 but not in the same guitar. In any case your description is spot on.

Now have some fun with that axe,

Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b