Revisiting the Super D

• 3 Replies

Offline LPBII

• View Profile
Revisiting the Super D
« on: November 09, 2023, 11:16:59 PM »
So I have this early 2000 PRS SE that I have never been sure what to do with. The neck is little cramped feeling around the first frets.  When I got it as just a beat up project guitar it had epiphone pickups which sounded like mud bombs.  It sounded pretty good with a set boutique PAF clones, but I decided to maybe try and sell it, so I bought some inexpesive a2 pickups to load in it. Not great sounding.

But I had a late 70's Super D and a 36th neck in the parts drawer and thought I would see how that set sounded in the guitar before sending it down the road.  I wasn't in love the Super D in this mahogany guitar by its self. Maybe a little too thick and grindy?

But I decided to see how it sat in rock mix. Oh boy, it rocks. It just sits in a rock mix so nicely. The harder you flog it, the harder it rocks.

The 36N sounded very good too. It is rapidly becoming my favorite neck humbucker.

I'm probably going to keep the guitar now and keep the Super D in it. It gives me a great option for a hard rock/metal application.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Revisiting the Super D
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 03:26:09 AM »
That is so cool when that happens - waking up a guitar that is ready to be sold with the right pickups. Congrats!
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 08:35:20 PM »
Those older PRS Santana SE's sound great after a pickup swap. I have the Duncan Seth Lover set in mine, and it sounds more like the classic "Gibson" PAF tones in my head than either of my actual Gibsons.

Offline kookaburra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 05:18:36 PM »
I’m about to reinstall a Super D in a Hamer Special FM.  I pulled the Super D for a PAFish pickup in the bridge, but I’m reversing course!