1985 Kramer Beretta

• 6 Replies

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
1985 Kramer Beretta
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:31:42 AM »
So five years ago my nephew asks me if I want to buy a basic shell of a guitar for $75. I ask him what it is and he just brings it over. It’s a Kramer Beretta that someone tried to mod into a two pickup guitar, add switches, and put a Gibson style jack and plate in.

I buy it, and it sits for about a year. I finally go to the wood shop at work and make a basswood plug for the neck pickup, switch holes, and jack. I paint it flat black, put in a cheap Kent Armstrong branded pickup, and a used Floyd given to me with another purchase. But now I think it’s time for a full resto. I still have the factory metal flake red on the headstock, so I think a quart of urethane enamel would be just fine. My dilemma is the pickup.

From the small bit of research I have seen, these came with the Duncan JB. I am not a fan. Especially not in a guitar with no tone control. So any suggestions?

Oh yeah, she’s getting a brand new 1984 style Floyd that wood screws into the body, just like they left the factory with.

I will try and post status updates and pics along the way.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
Re: 1985 Kramer Beretta
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
Try to find a Schaller Golden 50.
I believe that is what was used in Kramer’s early on and later the JB.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 04:00:21 PM »
Will do. I just hate the high end and upper mid spike of the jb.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 06:34:33 AM »
I read on the Duncan forum that the Perpetual Burn is supposedly a slightly lower output JB without that upper mid spike....
I have no direct experience myself however.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »
I might give that one a try. Especially if Jason is getting some of the proceeds.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:13:55 AM »
Would love to see a pic of that guitar.

If I remember correctly the model name was "Baretta".

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 12:19:36 PM »
I will get it out and post some pics. I think that since the original metallic paint is long gone, I am going to repaint it. AGAIN......I left the headstock the original color. I have a guy that can computer match car paint, so I think I am going to pay him a visit and just do a real restoration. I will look into the Schaller pickup. If I can't find one or find one that is decent enough, I will probably either go for a Tone Zone due to it being wired straight to the jack, or the Perpetual Burn.