Middle pickup suggestions?

• 9 Replies

Offline fireheart7

• View Profile
Middle pickup suggestions?
« on: September 24, 2021, 03:57:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am enjoying my Mo'Joe and Satch Track combo. Currently have a fast track in the middle position, but want to transfer that to the bridge position of another guitar.
I am considering a True Velvet for that mid position- do I need to get the reverse polarity version or a straight ahead version?

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
Re: Middle pickup suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 10:57:06 PM »
I'm curious why you would want to go with a True Velvet middle. It's a great pickup to be sure (almost an understament, it's a freakin amazing Strat pickup in the right guitar), however it is a vintage style pickup and doesn't seem to me to be  a modern style that would keep company particularly well  with the Mojo /Satch track combo.
I'd consider an FS-1 based on your aim, also a great pickup that might could hang with your other two pickups  in a more copacetic way.
As far as RW/RP, that seems to be to be more of an argument when dealing with strictly vintage output Strat pickups- some feel it takes away a bit from the feel of the pickup, but with your setup , I cannot see how it would matter.
 Bear in mind, I am far from an expert on this, but I know many times I have posted here and have been delighted to see some feedback on my posts ASAP , no matter what.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:00:40 PM by Jerryman »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline fireheart7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 12:49:36 PM »
I'm curious why you would want to go with a True Velvet middle. It's a great pickup to be sure (almost an understament, it's a freakin amazing Strat pickup in the right guitar), however it is a vintage style pickup and doesn't seem to me to be  a modern style that would keep company particularly well  with the Mojo /Satch track combo.
I'd consider an FS-1 based on your aim, also a great pickup that might could hang with your other two pickups  in a more copacetic way.
As far as RW/RP, that seems to be to be more of an argument when dealing with strictly vintage output Strat pickups- some feel it takes away a bit from the feel of the pickup, but with your setup , I cannot see how it would matter.
 Bear in mind, I am far from an expert on this, but I know many times I have posted here and have been delighted to see some feedback on my posts ASAP , no matter what.

Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like the FS-1 would be similar to a SD custom stack?

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 05:12:09 PM »
Since you already have two humbuckers I wouldn’t put a single coil in the middle. It won’t hum cancel with the other two (unless you split them, which always sounds weak, IMO)

In my three pickup pickups (always with some form of hum canceling pickups) I find a bright middle pickup works best.

Or get another of what you have there already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesJam

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 12:40:38 AM »
Maybe try a Cruiser.  It’s hum cancelling with single coil voicing.  It’s also fits the aesthetic of your guitar.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 02:54:04 AM »
What do you not like about the FT-1? Or do you like it and just want to move it to another guitar? In that case I would just get another FT-1.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 05:08:06 AM »
Apologies for piggybacking, but I may as well solicit suggestions concerning the same topic:

Several of my HSH guitars are outfitted with Dimarzio humbuckers and Duncan singles. I find, as a consequence of “middle pickup syndrome”, that I prefer hotter middle pickups I can then lower out of the way. So far, the Quarter Pound flat SSL-4 and SSL-6 have been my favorites for this purpose. Are there any Dimarzio singles in that vein? In positions 2 and 4, I generally go for the typical SRV and Knopfler vibes.

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 06:10:11 PM »
I think you want a reverse polarity one. It won't be hum cancelling in the middle position alone though, only in positions 2 and 4 if you split the humbuckers.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 06:21:01 PM »
How often do you use your middle pickup? Do you use the middle pickup position at all?

It really doesn't matter if you go with the reverse wound or not. The only thing that changes is what wire you solder. Using a standard (not reverse-wound) pickup, you would just swap the live and ground wires. Aside from that I don't believe there are any differences between a standard wound or reverse wound pickup.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 03:47:06 AM »
A reverse wound reverse poled pickup does sound exactly like its normal wound normal poled counterpart.

Whether you want/need a reverse would/reverse poled version depends on with which coil of the bridge or neck humbucker you are going to use it. With DiMarzios the neck side coil with the bridge humbucker and the bridge side coil with the neck humbucker (except for the Bluesbucker where the screw coil is active)  is operating when wired according to the instructions. That coil would be humcancelling with a normal wound normal poled single coil. However, if you want the other coil to be active in split mode then you either need a RWRP version or you have to flip the magnet in the humbucker by 180 degrees.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b