One coil with more winds?

• 7 Replies

Offline Brooklyn_Bean

• View Profile
One coil with more winds?
« on: September 24, 2020, 09:58:40 PM »
Hi all! Quick question:
Dimarzio puts more winds around one of the coils in its single-coil sized humbuckers than the other. Which coil gets the most winds? The north or south coils?

I ask because I want to know which to split.
Thanks!

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
Re: One coil with more winds?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:06:06 PM »
No, they wind some pickups with two different wire gauges. They are about the same number of turns on each coil. They use thinner wire on the North coil. Thinner wire reads higher resistance.

Offline Brooklyn_Bean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 12:11:33 AM »
Ahhhhh okay!
Thanks for the info!

Just to be clear, does that mean the south coil may be louder?
I’m interested because I want to split the pickup so I hear the louder coil.
Thank you!!!

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 02:47:19 AM »
Same number of turns generally = similar-ish output
Thinner wire and higher resistance generally = a bit less treble

So you shouldn't lose much more volume than one would reasonably expect from a coil split, and the only real worry is minute differences in EQ that you might not even notice.
I'd recommend doing a series/parallel switch rather than a split, because you get a bit more output and it doesn't thin out your sound as much as a split, especially with a single-sized humbucker.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 03:15:24 AM »
I'd recommend doing a series/parallel switch rather than a split, because you get a bit more output and it doesn't thin out your sound as much as a split, especially with a single-sized humbucker.

+1
+ you retain the humbucking effect.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Brooklyn_Bean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 11:35:34 PM »
I should note This is for something I am going to try: having a tone zone s in the bridge and a cruiser bridge model in the neck—no other pickups. It will have a five way super switch and the 3rd pickup selector position will have one coil of each pickup to make quieter jangle sound.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 03:24:12 AM »
Yeah in that case try to call in your order and tell them that you wanna use that combo to make sure you can use the inner/outer coils together (if you care about this - not essential or anything, especially with a single-sized HB, but YMMV).

I'd still recommend series/parallel because you'll still get more brightness and less output, just not so much more brightness and less output that it sounds thin like single-sized HBs have a tendency to get. I know there is (or used to be) a wiring diagram on the Dimarzio site for B series/B parallel/both parallel/ N parallel/N series (or maybe middle is both split, I'm not super sure) that seems like it would work swell for you.

Offline Brooklyn_Bean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »
Thank you so much for the info!!!!