Chopper in Bridge + Area 61's in Neck & Middle. Help!

• 3 Replies

Offline Mattiestrat

• View Profile
Chopper in Bridge + Area 61's in Neck & Middle. Help!
« on: March 30, 2017, 01:04:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if I could get some help on this.  As the subject says I just swapped out pickups on my strat for a chopper in the bridge and area 61's in the middle and neck position.

I know nothing about wiring pickups at all to be honest but assumed it would work as I got the idea from seeing one of Mark Lettieri's guitar being set up this way. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJlQO7IhSwf/?taken-by=mjlettieri

I got it back from one guy who said it couldn't be done properly.  Everything sounds fine besides in the position between the bridge and middle pickup has this real out of phase sound.  Like it's really thin and has a huge loss in gain. 

I was wondering if you guys have any clue what I could do?  I've brought it to a new guy who's supposed to be the best in the area but he's kind of unsure also. 

Any help would be hugely appreciated. 

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chopper in Bridge + Area 61's in Neck & Middle. Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
This should be a straight forward wiring but if everything sounds fine except the bridge + middle combination, try to swap the green and red wires on the bridge pickup.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Strat_O_Holic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 04:01:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if I could get some help on this.  As the subject says I just swapped out pickups on my strat for a chopper in the bridge and area 61's in the middle and neck position.

I know nothing about wiring pickups at all to be honest but assumed it would work as I got the idea from seeing one of Mark Lettieri's guitar being set up this way. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJlQO7IhSwf/?taken-by=mjlettieri

I got it back from one guy who said it couldn't be done properly.  Everything sounds fine besides in the position between the bridge and middle pickup has this real out of phase sound.  Like it's really thin and has a huge loss in gain. 

I was wondering if you guys have any clue what I could do?  I've brought it to a new guy who's supposed to be the best in the area but he's kind of unsure also. 

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Lol these guitar techs must suck, +1 to the above, it's a relatively simple setup, I've wired in the same for a friend. You do have to switch the wires on the rail pickup...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mattiestrat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »
Thanks a lot for the help guys.  Much appreciated.