HSS configuration. what works best for you?

• 25 Replies

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: HSS configuration. what works best for you?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 09:30:52 AM »
I like to go with single space hums in middle and neck and then wire them to switches for tones I'm wanting, be it series/parallel or series/split or series/split/parallel.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 10:55:05 PM »
Had a Virtual Hot PAf and two Fender Fat 50's singles for several years. That was a great combo.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 09:07:47 AM »
I have built this wiring: http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/5380/strat-sp into a strat because I was interested to test out all the possible pickup combinations series/parallel, in and out of phase.

The HSS version of this circuit is here: http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/5624/strat-hss-sounds-extra-knobs

However I found that I rarely use all the trick combinations and usually stick to the tried and true positions. The good thing with these wirings is that you can ignore the extra options so that the guitar on first sight operates "normal".

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline mesa0131

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »
So to get back to my original post, I have since put a Dsonic(bar towards the neck) a converted tele pickup without the cover and staggered poles in the middle and an air norton S in the neck wored to a Schaller E type + that allows switching for Bridge, br.split and middle parallel, br. And neck parallel, middle and neck split parallel, and neck. Its a great way to get quack and humbucker tones, I also wired the Dsonic and Air Nortpn S to a push/push coil split on my tpne. My findings are that the Dsonic is too sterile, as I love the vintage but hot feel of gibson burstbucker pros, or Bareknuckle rebel yells, and that the air norton lacks on clarity and definition in the 22 fret position. So my next attempt if I go Dimarzio is the AT1 bridge, and a Chopper S neck but unsure of a well suited standard strat pickup for the middle that will fit well on a 500k pot.
Fine wines are found in glass bottles, not plastics sacks; As such, so are the finer electrons.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
Strat pickup that fits 500k pot would be the Injector neck.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline mesa0131

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 08:15:32 PM »
Sorry Stephan, I should note it needs to be a standard single coil, for humcanceling in the 2 and 4 position. I am thinking a Red Velvet for output and warmth, since it will be between an AT-1 and Chopper. Red velvet is standard on many high end Ibanez and is often found in between a set of evo's if im not mistaken, so I have confidence it will lend the tonality im after, which is 2 and 4 quack and jangle.
Fine wines are found in glass bottles, not plastics sacks; As such, so are the finer electrons.

MarvinMealer

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:13 PM »
I liked my Air Zone Bridge with two Area 67´s in the middle and neck.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 04:02:42 AM »
Sorry Stephan, I should note it needs to be a standard single coil, for humcanceling in the 2 and 4 position. I am thinking a Red Velvet for output and warmth, since it will be between an AT-1 and Chopper. Red velvet is standard on many high end Ibanez and is often found in between a set of evo's if im not mistaken, so I have confidence it will lend the tonality im after, which is 2 and 4 quack and jangle.

OK I see. No experience with the Red Velvet but it should work as intended.
The DiMarzio humcancelling pickups can be split so in a "regular" strat combination you could have the middle pickup in #3 as humbucker and split it in #2 and #4 for humcancelling combinations with the bridge and neck pickups. But as you mentioned in the other thread that you would use bridge + neck in #3 you don't need a humcancelling single coil in the middle. You will probably need a 24 pole switch (aka super switch or 4 level switch).

Cheers Stephan

Offline treyhaislip

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 04:32:24 PM »
My favorite HSS setup is a JB in the bridge with two Hotrails in the neck and mid. I think this combo sounds best in alder and alder with a maple top. Didn't care for the JB in basswood (which was odd) but still my favorite HSS combo.

Offline Gavron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 09:38:11 AM »
I have a lot of guitars with that setup and a lot of combinations of pickups in them. 

The one that never fails to bring a smile to my face and make me really not want to put it down is AT-1 bridge with Injector neck in middle and neck, 500k pots, .0022uf tone cap, 20 pole 5 way so the AT-1 goes into parallel mode when in combination with the middle pup.  Fantastic sounds in every position, and the strat "quack" is all there in 2/4.  Very Texas except on the bridge only setting, when it is super fat/articulate.  Sort of like Scott Henderson's tone in the Face First/Reality Check Tribal Tech era.

I've  got regular Injector neck and I've just ordered custom RWRP Injector Neck (north up)  for Middle position. I'm gonna split them both in 4th position of my hss axe. We will see what happens. Should work brilliant.

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »
Evo 2+Texas Special x2

But as far as DiMarzio goes, Evo 2+Satch Tracks
Both of the sets have the quack, but are still warm and thick sounding (not single-coilish thin). Irony is Tex Specs are true singlecoils, though they don't have tons of hum, unlike some other singlecoils. Satch Tracks are of course, quiet as the shadow. Evo 2 is just a staple as far as good sound goes... be it low gain or high gain. Split, it sounds surprisingly good for a humbucker, and is passable compared to even the Tex Specs.

Though I generally like my Ritchie Sambora's Paf Pro on the bridge (coupled with the Tex Specs), I still prefer the Evo2, and that's what I swapped it into. That Paf Pro is going in another Lester.

Cory