DimarzioForum.Com > Everything you wanted to know about ....

Virtual Vintage '54 Pro

<< < (2/4) > >>

Butch Snyder:
I just installed a pair of VV 54 Pros in the neck and middle position of my Telecaster.  So far, I like them.  We will see how they fare...

KH Guitar Freak:
I would have thought the '54 would be the less bright if not the least compared to the other Dimarzio singlecoils...

darkbluemurder:

--- Quote from: Schneidas on October 26, 2009, 10:28:10 AM ---'54 Pro in the bridge anyone?

--- End quote ---

Yes, me. I have it in two different strats, combined with an Area 58 in the middle and an Area 67 in the neck. The VV 54 Pro replaced Area 61s in both guitars (I needed those for another guitar in the neck and middle positions). It sounds great clean and overdriven. It is quite similar to the Area 61, maybe there is a little more roundness which is more than welcome in the bridge spot, and the attack seems to be a bit softer (the emphasis being on "a bit").

As for the rest my experience with this pickup matches that of Matt_B.

Cheers Stephan

darkbluemurder:

--- Quote from: KH Guitar Freak on October 08, 2011, 11:38:27 AM ---I would have thought the '54 would be the less bright if not the least compared to the other Dimarzio singlecoils...
--- End quote ---

Compared to Area 61 about the same brightness, only a bit less.
Compared to Area 67 definitely less bright. The Area 67 is by far the brightest of the Area series.
Compared to Area 58 less bright, but not by much. Different tonal colour. Does not have the smokiness of the Area 58 (but the Area 61 and 67 don't have that either).

Cheers Stephan 

darkbluemurder:
This weekend I set up my H-S strat (VHPAF in the bridge, Area 67 neck) as H-S-S and added a VV 54 Pro in the middle. The volume pot is a 500k log but I added a 470k resistor to bring the load closer to 250k for the single coils.

In the middle position I hear the VV 54 Pro as an Area 58 with more low end. It's bright on the top end, maybe a bit less than the 58 but the low end is definitely more prominent. Instant SRV "The Sky is Crying" tone.

I did not have any problem matching the individual outputs of the pickups together. The bridge (neckside coil) + middle combination sounds excellent, too - very quacky and crisp. I am not overwhelmed by the neck + middle combination, which is a bit dark and slightly muffled but that is a combination I rarely use anyway so I can live with that.

When the next string change is up I will add a push-pull pot to add the neck pickup to any combination so that I can get the bridge + neck combination, too.

Cheers Stephan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version