pickup for modern progressive rock

• 5 Replies

Offline bdqwerty

• View Profile
pickup for modern progressive rock
« on: September 30, 2016, 06:44:08 PM »
I have an old '94 Fernandes model, i think it's an AMG-70. Anyway, it's 24 frets, ash body, 3 humbuckers (two of which are strat sized), metal roller nut, and a weird trem unit called the Pin Edge Tremolo or PET. The pickups went out on it and I really want to capture the tone of guitar from modern progressive rock like Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree and the like. I'm a huge fan of dimarzios and would really like to stay within their products. I need a good full size humbucker, and then two that are strat sized. I was thinking of the d-activator and then two fast track 1s.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: pickup for modern progressive rock
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 02:30:44 AM »
Well, there are a lot of clean parts in Stevens music so I don't think the D-Activator is necessarily the best choice for a bridge humbucker as the cleans are not the greatest.

I'd much rather go for something more allround like the AirZone, Norton, Transition, Breed or Breed Neck (yes it works great in the bridge!). Especially the AZ which for a big-sounding, crunchy humbucker has exceptional cleans and it splits beautifully too. If you then need to pile on the gain, say via a boost pedal or something, youre rewarded with a huge, fat tone.

As for the middle and neck:
For more power: Satch Track in the neck (the only railbucker Ive ever really liked. In fact, I love it. Fat, punchy and clear). Injector Neck in the middle.
For more of a "vintage" tone: Heavy Blues 2 in the neck, Area 67 in the middle.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »
I just listened to several videos of Steven Wilson's music. If I was trying to shoot for that tone, I would go with an Air Classic bridge, an Area 67 Middle, and a Cruiser Neck.

Offline bdqwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:57:57 PM »
I understand the tone is complex, but I'm trying to find a super versatile combination, and the tone he uses is right about where I'd like to be.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 03:31:51 AM »
Of course, but Steven isn't using a high-output pickup like the D-Activator. The bridge pickup in his PRS is lower in power, something akin to a PAF or slightly hotter.
You can go with a Fast Track 1 in the neck but I'd pair that with an Area 67 in the middle for those cleaner "in-between" sounds. Those two aren't gonna work well with the D-Activator, it'll be too big a volume/gain difference. I'd take one of those bridge pickups I listed, probably the Breed or AirZone, but it's your choice of course.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:24:27 AM by jazzfromhell »

Offline bdqwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 10:18:43 AM »
Yeah, i like the air zone, and the heavy blues 2 sounds like a good option for neck. everyone is recommending that 67 one for yhe middle, so I'll go for that. hopefully it'll sounds good!