Al Dimeola Bridge

• 22 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Al Dimeola Bridge
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 03:17:50 PM »
No idea why it's discontinued

.. as a regular model - it is still available from the custom shop (if their pickup FAQ ("Do you still make") as per today is up to date.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 01:40:10 AM »
I can see where Larry’s coming from when he said “that’s the most misunderstood pickup we ever made.”

Larry said that about the DiMeola?  Wonder why.  I'd think the Humbucker from Hell would get that award, solely for giving a low output PAF that name.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 01:41:03 AM »

Did you use it with a 500k or 250k load or something in between?

Thanks, Stephan

Pots that actually measure 500k+

Offline headcrash

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2022, 11:17:06 AM »
The more I play this, the more I like it.  The extra tightness on the wound strings vs. a 36th and the way artificial harmonics just jump out are great.  No idea why it's discontinued, IMO it's one of their best pickups for sure.  Not thin in the bridge like a PAF Pro can be, not as middy as a Breed Neck in the bridge can be, a little more interesting harmonically than a Mo
Joe.  Really, really cool member of their PAF family.   Also, when split, the split coil sound is more robust than a 36th. 

That’s been my experience, as well. I put the DiMeola bridge in a guitar to replace an Air Norton and loved it, tried the Breed neck in another guitar and only liked it, then put a tweaked DiMeola (nickel covered, with a row of fillisters) in the next guitar and found I still prefer it to the Breed. I can see where Larry’s coming from when he said “that’s the most misunderstood pickup we ever made.”

Hey mmmguitar, would you mind elaborating a little more about the Air Norton in the bridge vs. Al DiMeola bridge?

I am a huge fan of my EBMM Axis (Super) Sport guitars and their bridge humbucker. In fact it's been years since I have played anything other than this bridge humbucker  ;D
But for the fun of it I feel the urge to experiment a little with lower output pickups.
I put an AN in the bridge of one of my Sports, and find I'm liking it quite a bit, but also think it lacks some aggressiveness in the upper mids (also thought about half de-airing it...).
So I am curious, what the Al DiMeola would make different.

Thank you!

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »
Hey mmmguitar, would you mind elaborating a little more about the Air Norton in the bridge vs. Al DiMeola bridge?

If you want more aggressive mids, I’d suggest de-airing or going full Norton like you were thinking. The ADM is voiced differently from the AN; and my endorsement was to do with feeling the ADM was a better fit for a particular guitar (a Strandberg) than the AN was. The AN emphasized the mids in a way that I enjoyed in other guitars, but didn’t fit so well in that one. The ADM smoothed it out and added body in a way I preferred.

In my meager opinion, I rate ADM bridge>Breed neck>Air Zone>Tone Zone as similarly voiced pickups from lowest output to hottest, according to one’s needs (e.g., if you want more output out of a PAF Pro, try the Breed Neck. If you want a warmer vintage-output PAF but don’t want to get into hotrod territory in terms of output, the ADM may be worth trying backed off from the strings a bit. Etc.).

Offline headcrash

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2022, 05:22:19 PM »

If you want more aggressive mids, I’d suggest de-airing or going full Norton like you were thinking. The ADM is voiced differently from the AN; and my endorsement was to do with feeling the ADM was a better fit for a particular guitar (a Strandberg) than the AN was. The AN emphasized the mids in a way that I enjoyed in other guitars, but didn’t fit so well in that one. The ADM smoothed it out and added body in a way I preferred.

In my meager opinion, I rate ADM bridge>Breed neck>Air Zone>Tone Zone as similarly voiced pickups from lowest output to hottest, according to one’s needs (e.g., if you want more output out of a PAF Pro, try the Breed Neck. If you want a warmer vintage-output PAF but don’t want to get into hotrod territory in terms of output, the ADM may be worth trying backed off from the strings a bit. Etc.).

As far as de-airing goes, I may try and first go the half-air way, since it's merely a nuance in the high-mids, that I think I miss.

I had a Norton in a very similar guitar (a EBMM Albert Lee) and remember it being too far away from the Custom DiMarzio in my (Super) Sports.
Plus, I like, that the AN is significantly quieter. Whereas the Norton is in EBMM Custom Dimarzio territory.
For example, with my SLO Clone increase the lead channel's gain from 3-ish (EBMM DiMarzio) to 4..4.5-ish (AN) to achieve similar gain levels.
Also I like the AN's punch or push, actually I was expecting it to be more "spongy" or saggy, which was my experience with the AT-1, compared to the Custom Dimarzio. With the AT-1 I thought it's the Airbucker technology.
As I am writing this, it might be, that for me the AN could just have a little more bite or presence.

So, as far as the ADM is concerned, would you say it's overall feel is warmer in the hi-mids than the AN ? Which would lead me to the conclusion, that the ADM might be the wrong pickup for me.

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2022, 07:33:00 PM »
So, as far as the ADM is concerned, would you say it's overall feel is warmer in the hi-mids than the AN ?

In my experience, yes. Have you tried the 36 bridge or Fortitude? As far as other offerings go, those may be more in the direction you’re describing; whereas the ADM is the opposite: A great pickup, but not aggressive in the mids in the way the Nortons or others are.

Offline headcrash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2022, 04:03:21 PM »
So, as far as the ADM is concerned, would you say it's overall feel is warmer in the hi-mids than the AN ?

In my experience, yes. Have you tried the 36 bridge or Fortitude? As far as other offerings go, those may be more in the direction you’re describing; whereas the ADM is the opposite: A great pickup, but not aggressive in the mids in the way the Nortons or others are.

I had a 36th bridge a few years ago and remember not liking it. I think it lacked bass and low mids.
Fortitude shouldn't be too different.
I might give both a try one time.
Also I wait to get a good deal on a Bluesbucker as a companion to the AN to the neck position. Then I can take it to band practice and just work with it and see how it'll work for me.