PAF 36th Bridge (DP223) vs ToneZone to accompany a PAF 36th Neck (DP103)?

• 3 Replies

Offline JBerto

• https://audius.co/Berto
    • View Profile
    • Berto's audius.co web page
Hi folks!

I'm having a hard time to decide... anyone here has tried an HH guitar with a DP103 in the neck and a PAF 36th DP223 or a ToneZone in the bridge and could share some thoughts?
I have a solid-body guitar without trem, and I like tu play any type of rock and blues (but not Metal, Heavy, or anything with too much distorsion).

Any opinion will be apreciated!!!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PAF 36th Bridge (DP223) vs ToneZone to accompany a PAF 36th Neck (DP103)?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 03:00:57 AM »
I had a Les Paul Goldtop not exactly with those pickups but with a Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF type in the neck. Hated the Tone Zone in the bridge - too buzzy and too much output. Put a Rio Grande BBQ in there and was much happier. I no longer have that guitar. The Tone Zone went to a different guitar where I liked it better but sold it shortly afterwards.
Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 05:13:23 AM »
PS: for the musical styles you mentioned I think the DP-223 or the DP-224 (AT-1) would be better suited than the Tone Zone.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 03:31:57 PM »
I have the 36th Anniversary bridge/neck in a Les Paul and they are fantastic together. I have a 36th Anniversary neck in a PRS with an Air Zone bridge, and that is also a great combo. I have a Tone Zone in another guitar with a PAF Pro neck, and I'm guessing it would be OK with the 36th neck, but I think the Air Zone would be a better match.

It really depends on what the guitar you are putting them in is made out of. I think the Tone Zone sounds great in a Basswood Ibanez RG, but I have hated it in some other guitars. I also had the 36th anniversary set in another guitar which made the bridge sound way too bright. What guitar are you putting it in?