Input

• 6 Replies

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
Input
« on: March 16, 2024, 07:55:14 PM »
Ibanez 1570...need bridge and neck recommendation...not using middle p.u...playing through a 75 Marshall super lead modded by D.Bray

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Input
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 09:17:45 PM »
Depends on what tones you are looking for.
Dimarzios seem to work well with Ibanez RG's.
I like the:
Crunch Lab / Liquifire set
Air Zone / Paf Pro set
Fred / Paf Joe set
Gravity Storm Set

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 08:14:58 AM »
Depends on what tones you are looking for.
Dimarzios seem to work well with Ibanez RG's.
I like the:
Crunch Lab / Liquifire set
Air Zone / Paf Pro set
Fred / Paf Joe set
Gravity Storm Set
Have a Tone Zone and PAF PRO...Sound a little muddy,no saturation,and a little dull...like to brighten it up hair..and some sustain..

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 03:09:11 AM »
AT-1 and Gravity Storm neck?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 05:17:34 AM »
If the PAF Pro is muddy then PAF Joe would be a step up in brightness. So would be the Humbucker From Hell but that one has way more bass than the chart would indicate. Personally I like the Bluesbucker.

For the bridge, almost anything from DiMarzio will be less bass / low mid heavy than the Tone Zone. If you do not need high output, Mo Joe is worth considering. For higher output, Transition bridge is great. I love it in my PRS S2 Standard 24 but that is a rather dark sounding guitar to begin with. If your guitar is on the brighter end, then it may be too bright. In that case, Air Zone, AT-1 or Dominion could work well.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Ampli_Fuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 12:58:55 PM »
You might look into using a tubescreamer-style pedal as a booster, as that would remedy the "little muddy,no saturation,and a little dull" problem nicely. TZ and PAF Pro are a great combo already, I don't know if you can get what you want out of a modded Marshall just by changing pickups.

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 05:16:36 PM »
- Something bright that saturates a Bray-modded Marshall SLP

- Tone Zone and PAF Pro sound muddy and dull

There really isn’t much to go on here.

My initial thoughts based on the typical use case of that amp are a Duncan TB-4 JB in the bridge and a Duncan SH-12 Screamin’ Demon in the neck. You could go with the TB-12 but the SH-12 will be just a tad brighter. For additional saturation I would consider a good overdrive.

That out of the way I’ll take a stab at some DiMarzios. The Super Distortion in the bridge seems like an obvious choice, perhaps with a Super 2 in the neck. The Evolution set is another safe bet if you have the chops.

The HFH is bright but it is also very clean. If the PAF Pro doesn’t provide enough saturation then the HFH will not be a good choice.
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids