SSS Strat Pickup Combinations

• 16 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SSS Strat Pickup Combinations
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 04:08:14 AM »
I take credit for the cap size, I was doing it before anyone else afaik. 

I experimented with smaller caps (although not that small) before  I had access to the internet but for those specific values Ray is right.

.0015uf cap bridge singles or FT1.  .001uf bridge humbucker (chopper for instance).  .0022uf neck/middle single, .0033uf or .0047uf in parallel positions.  I always use a super switch.  Regular 5 ways are so 1950s and pedantic...

Fully agree on the values, except that I normally use the  same value for everything but the bridge position for simplicity.
The regular switch severely limits the options  because the positions are fixed. Although I use it in the following setup: bridge Lollartron, middle/neck Injector neck - very simple setup, nothing fancy there.

One tone dedicated to bridge only, and it only operates in switch position 1.  2nd tone controls the other 4 positions, but may use different cap sizes in different positions, see above. 

500k (ones that measure 500k plus ONLY) in all positions except when doing the super duper series option wiring (I showed this to Stephan, but I'd appreciate it not being shared). 

A separate tone control for the bridge pickup is very useful. In fact I have one guitar  where the only tone control only controls the bridge pickup - no tone control on the neck pickup.

Again, thanks for the assistance with the wiring. It will not be shared. Any PM requests insofar will be ignored.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline gregr

• View Profile
Re: SSS Strat Pickup Combinations
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2023, 10:05:51 PM »
I replaced the Satch Track with a Fast Track 1 that arrived in the mail yesterday. I decided to go with more of a single coil vibe than a humbucker vibe. While I still like the idea of flanking the Satch track with a Lace Sensor Silver I opted to keep things simple. Besides, I know the drop in output with the Silver would drive me crazy.

As most of you know already, the Fast Track 1 in the neck balances very well with the Chopper in the bridge. I was unsure about how the Injector Neck in the middle would fare, however. It’s a tad thin through the mids but it has no trouble keeping up with the Fast Track. Position 4 is surprisingly good even with the Injector dummy coil active, though it still sounds better without it. Position 2 with the white/green coil shunted on the Chopper with an RC network combined with the Injector without the dummy coil already sounds great. A 5WSS and this pickguard might well be finished.

I’m still debating the pots but what I have going on is pretty good. It has a 500k volume with a Kinman treble bleed, 250k tones with 22nF, one tone for the neck and the other for the middle and bridge. The Injector is loaded down with 510k. Thanks to the 500k volume the Fast Track has plenty of brightness on tap to cut so I’m able to keep the tone backed off. I’m probably going to use a linear taper for that one. I think I’ll disconnect the back tone control on position 4.

I’m really not a big fan of rail pickups in a Strat to be honest, but these DiMarzios allow me to get Stratty tones without requiring gobs of gain to crunch and sing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 01:24:05 AM by gregr »
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids