New Guitar Pickup Conundrum

• 2 Replies

Offline Slartibartfarst

• View Profile
New Guitar Pickup Conundrum
« on: May 19, 2021, 10:37:34 PM »
After searching for the right guitar for me for a while, I've finally taken the plunge and taken delivery of a nice new LTD M-1000 E. I was particularly after a superstrat, ideally with an alder body and this one seems to fit the bill perfectly, with the exception of the EMG pickups and the reverse headstock. It has an alder body, 3-piece maple neck, ebony fingerboard, Floyd 1000SE bridge and a set-thru construction. For a while I thought of changing the pickups to EMG Retro Actives as the easiest option but I think I'd rather stick to passives. I confess that one option I'm seriously thinking about for the bridge is a Classic '83 from The Creamery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_s3wyPIt28

In many ways it's a lot like a JB with its alnico 5 magnet but wound to a DC resistance similar to a Super Distortion. I've had one before and it's very good indeed but I've also always fancied trying a Super Distortion as I like Adrian Smith who uses one in his alder guitars. Now I have a real problem as I love the rich warmth and fluidity of a JB but I also love the harmonic richness and aggression of the Super Distortion. I don't like too much compression in a pickup, hence my dislike of the stock EMG's in my new guitar. Do DiMarzio make a pickup that has the best qualities of both of these pickups combined and will work well in my guitar?

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
Re: New Guitar Pickup Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 03:24:11 PM »
Have you given the Norton any consideration? Has kind of that JB vibe with a little less upper mid spike.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline Slartibartfarst

• View Profile
Re: New Guitar Pickup Conundrum
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 08:54:23 PM »
Thanks, it sounds interesting so I'll look into that one further.