Favorite humbucker in a strat?

• 6 Replies

Offline ledvedder

• View Profile
Favorite humbucker in a strat?
« on: March 15, 2021, 11:13:26 PM »
I'm liking the Tone Zone S in this strat, but I'm not a big fan of the look. I'm considering putting in a full size nickel covered humbucker. I just think it'll look much better. I'm eyeing either a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary or a Duncan Pearly Gates.
Curious what your preferences are?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
Re: Favorite humbucker in a strat?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 12:20:40 PM »
I have a Pearly Gates + in the bridge of my Big Apple Strat ('59 neck). I like it pretty well. It is a little different than the Pearly Gates. From what I understand it is slightly, and I mean VERY slightly overwound, but also has an A5 magnet. That being said, I have installed the Pearly Gates for many a person and they along with myself have liked it. Keep in mind that the Pearly Gates isn't for everyone, and has its own voice. If you are looking for something slightly less rude, I say go for the 36th. Another suggestion would be the Alnico II Pro from the Duncan catalog. I also like the PAF Pro in the bridge of a strat. Especially if it's an HSS. I tend to gravitate more towards hot vintage, or medium output pickups these days. You get to keep articulation for faster stuff, and let the amp handle the gain chores instead of the axe. With the gain my amp has, there is no need to hit the front end that hard.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:23:40 PM by Guitar74 »
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 02:43:49 PM »
36th bridge is a great choice, I use them in a lot of strats and other guitars.  Pearly Gates is wicked bright, to the point I found it unusable even in a dark sounding Les Paul. Tone Zone S is a very dark pickup, so going from that to either a 36th or a PG will be like taking a few dozen blankets off your amp.  36th bridge is bright, clear, precise and vocal, PG is just super bright.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 04:06:57 PM »
Agreed. The "Gates" isn't for everyone. I like the PG+ a little better, but tend to like them both. I wouldn't call what I have bright, but I would call it aggressive for such a low output pickup. But.....I like it in the Strat I have.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 07:48:05 PM »
I like to be able to split the bridge humbucker too, so I like the CustomCustom.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 11:49:38 AM »
I like to be able to split the bridge humbucker too, so I like the CustomCustom.

One of my favorite Duncans. I love the Custom Custom. Good suggestion.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 03:21:18 PM »
The CustomCustom works well with 250K pots too, which a lot of humbuckers do not.