Configuration for Gibson SG

• 5 Replies

Offline ozgur

• View Profile
Configuration for Gibson SG
« on: December 09, 2015, 01:05:42 AM »
Dear all,

I just got a Gibson SG and I'm planning to change the pickups. Current configuration ( stock pickups ) is weak and I'm searching for pickups which has enough mids and power both for bridge and neck position. I'm playing "New wave of British Heavy Metal" style and sometimes power metal like Helloween.

I wonder if PAF Pro for the bridge and PAF36th for the neck helps me to meet my needs.

Could you please share your opinions ?

Thanks,

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Configuration for Gibson SG
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 02:49:30 AM »
That could work fine depending on what amp/pedals you have. They are not very powerful pickups either but great nonetheless.

I'd go Super Distortion, or for a bit darker modern and more aggressive mids tone - the Super 3, in the bridge and a PAF Pro or Super 2 in the neck.

Offline ozgur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 03:10:59 AM »
Thanks a lot for your recommend.

My amp is Blackstar HT-40 Vintage Pro Combo. It's very good for typical British metal.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 06:34:45 AM »
If you feel you have enough gain coming from the amp and/or pedals then the pickups is more a matter of what voicing you like. The PAF Pro is pretty cool in the bridge but it's a bit small/focused-sounding for my taste. It has the honky "notched" mids which can be good or bad depending on your preferences.

The Super Distortion is a HUGE sound, it's massive. The Super 3 is a bit more mid-focused and it has a bit less high end. Both kick ASS!

The 36th Neck is great but for metal it is a bit underpowered IMHO. It doesn't feel that great to me doing shreddy stuff, I like more compression, like the PAF Pro or Super 2.

Offline ozgur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
Thank you very much for your useful ideas.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:12:17 PM »
I'd with the with PAF Masters here. Or maybe a PAF 36th and Super Distortion combo.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter