DimarzioForum.Com > Guitar Lounge

Why do the high e (1st) strings always break first?

(1/4) > >>

darkbluemurder:
Title says it all. I have spares of 2nd to 6th strings all over the place and have to keep on buying single 1st strings. They keep on breaking first - be it on wide bends, on pick attacks or when loosening/re-tightening a string during a pickup change or servicing of the electronics.

It is not on a particular guitar but on every guitar I own.

Is this your experience, too? Why is that?

Cheers Stephan

Guitar74:
It has always seemed to be the first one to go on all of mine as well. It was especially true when I was in high school and would practice/play for hours on end. I would always buy a pack and three extra high E strings when I was at the music store.

greenlion:
This is one of the mysteries of the universe that not even the most brilliant physicists have been able to figure out;  Why the smallest, thinnest, most delicate string breaks before the larger, thicker, stronger strings. I doubt anyone will ever crack this conundrum.

darkbluemurder:
Do you think it is simply mass? That could explain it but ...

Well, then, if it is - why is with acoustic guitars the 3rd string always the first to go, with no discernible difference between 1st and 2nd there?

Guitar74:
Wow. You're right. It is always the G that breaks first on my acoustic. Tension?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version