Most Alnico sounding Dimarzio Ceramic pickup

• 3 Replies

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
Most Alnico sounding Dimarzio Ceramic pickup
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »
I'm familiar with the Bill Lawrence ideas of the magnet itself having no tone , at least in theory  , on the pickup, but in general they do, I think everyone could accept that.
If you could pick out the most organic ( which Alnico is famous for that) sound form a Dimarzio, still giving some of the more compressed , and tighter dynamic edge of the Ceramic tone, what would it be?
I'm thinking the Transition, since historically Lukather went for the less dimensional and 'hi- fi'(?) tone of the EMG's, I would guess that the Transition would give him more dimensional richer tone, but with the edge of the ceramic magnet that could still give him some of what he liked about the EMG's at higher gain setting?
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Most Alnico sounding Dimarzio Ceramic pickup
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
The Transition would be a good candidate. The lower power stuff like the PAF Master or PAF 36th could also fit the bill.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Speeddemon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
The Transition would be a good candidate. The lower power stuff like the PAF Master or PAF 36th could also fit the bill.
But the PAF 36th *is* alnico, right? Not ceramic.

I have the DP103 neck pickup in two of my Les Paul Customs; beautiful organic tone!
In use: 13x DiMarzio (7 gtrs), 7x Duncan (3 gtrs).
Got preference? ;)

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »
Dimarzio Soapbar
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL