What Model/Date are these Dimarzios?

• 6 Replies

Offline Lewis1965

• View Profile
What Model/Date are these Dimarzios?
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
Ok fellas....First off..Thanks in advance for any information on these pickups...I am struggling to find the model and date on them and have been unsuccessful in getting a reply from the Dimarzio tech team after 3 emails to them (they must be very busy) so I have pasted my email below...

Thanks again fellas...Happy playing!

Dear Sir,

I wonder if you can help me identify some old Dimarzio Pickups (see pics) ...I got them from an old guitar I had given to me from a friend...The guitar was a cheap Les Paul copy  from the 70’s or 80’s I am guessing...I can’t remember if it was the 'Hondo II' or not but if it wasn’t it was pretty similar...The guitar was pretty badly bashed so I salvaged the hardware, took off the bolt on neck and binned the rest...Anyway I hope you can tell me which model of pickup these might be and what age they are...I have a Gibson SG '1973' that I have them in...and I love them!

They measure at 8.40 and 8.70 kHz on my multimeter..

I hope you can help me and I hope this doesn’t take too much of your time...

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Lewis

Offline Lewis1965

• View Profile
Re: What Model/Date are these Dimarzios?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »
Anybody out there?

Offline Wildwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »
Those are very old...more recent pickups have ID info. I can't help, but can tell you these look just like my old Dual Sound pickups, which I believe were the first pickups set up for coil splitting. I bought some of these when they were newly introduced in the mid- to late-70s. So I'm guessing you're in that era. Some suggest using a meter to read the coils. That alone might get you an ID. The PAF and Super Distortion were other variations and I'm fairly sure did not bear any labeling.

Not much help but hopefully a voice in the distance is better than silence.

Regardless, these are great pickups and I would find a home for them and play them loud!

Offline Lewis1965

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »
Thanks Wildwind...Thanks for the info...You are right any communication is better than none and your nfo is very valid too...I started to wonder if I was going mad or not...Seems every time I put 'Dimarzio' into an email or forum I was getting ignored...lol

Thanks for the response...Lets hope someone else sees and I get more info...I included the output in the initial post

Thanks again...

Offline Lewis1965

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:17:52 PM »
Any more takers?...:(

Offline slim_blues_boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 04:43:22 AM »
look like DiMarzio K-10, OEM pickup made by DiMarzio in late 70s for import guitars.
brass baseplate with square tab similar with DiMarzio from that era (70s) but the corner was cut to fit the cavity.
the bobbon baseplate screws also typical square tabs DiMarzio.

K-10 basically was Super 2 with the allen screws changed to slugs to save production cost.
and Super 2 is basically Super Distortion designed for neck position.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:55:49 AM by slim_blues_boy »

Offline Lewis1965

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:04:00 AM »
Thanks Slim for your feedback...That's great information...I appreciate your time on this..It has been driving me nuts not knowing...Now I have some info on them

Big thanks fellas...