Illuminator, Super Distortion, or?

• 9 Replies

Offline Timius

• View Profile
Illuminator, Super Distortion, or?
« on: November 04, 2016, 12:08:39 AM »
I have a Ernie ball JP6 that currently has a tone zone in the bridge.  It's a basswood body guitar.  While I enjoy the tone zone it's just not what I'm looking for.  I'm going to put it in an alder stray with maple n ck and it should sound amazing. 

Using the pick up selector dimarzio keeps coming back with two common choices.  The Super Distortion and the Illuminator.  A near third is the D activator.  I loved the Super D in my Les Paul I had once upon a time. The Illuminator samples I have heard sound nice. 

I'm looking for something that has great palm mutes, has a nice burn when picked hard and has good scream when playing lead without being ice picks. 

Any thoughts or other models I should look at are appreciated.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Re: Illuminator, Super Distortion, or?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 01:26:49 AM »
Honestly, there are so many good Dimarzio pickups that can do that. Of the ones you've mentioned, Super Distortion should be good

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »
Honestly, there are so many good Dimarzio pickups that can do that. Of the ones you've mentioned, Super Distortion should be good

What else do
You think meets my description ?  Evo2?

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 06:43:38 AM »
What don't you like about the TZ?

I think what you describe can be had with pretty much any mid/high output pickup; imho its mostly your technique and amp settings. Maybe avoid the regular Evo if you don't want icepicks but apart from that anything should work.

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »

I think what you describe can be had with pretty much any mid/high output pickup; imho its mostly your technique and amp settings. Maybe avoid the regular Evo if you don't want icepicks but apart from that anything should work.

My JP6 is a little dark and I feel that I need a pickup that will wake it up a little.  The tone zone has more bass than I want.  I like being able to add bass with my amp but right now I almost have the bass all the way down.  I have tweaked and adjusted hight and pole piece and I just am not happy this go around. 

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 05:41:01 AM »

My JP6 is a little dark and I feel that I need a pickup that will wake it up a little.  The tone zone has more bass than I want.  I like being able to add bass with my amp but right now I almost have the bass all the way down.  I have tweaked and adjusted hight and pole piece and I just am not happy this go around.
Ok, gotcha. Yeah the TZ can be a bit bassy.

Of the ones I've used I'd say the D-Activator and Norton would be great choices. There's quite a bit of gain difference between the two though so it depends on what you want.
Of the ones I haven't tried the Evo 2 and Titan looks like they could fit the bill. Maybe the Super 3 but it can be a bit dark in the top end. Maybe check out the Dominion too.

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »

Ok, gotcha. Yeah the TZ can be a bit bassy.

Of the ones I've used I'd say the D-Activator and Norton would be great choices. There's quite a bit of gain difference between the two though so it depends on what you want.
Of the ones I haven't tried the Evo 2 and Titan looks like they could fit the bill. Maybe the Super 3 but it can be a bit dark in the top end. Maybe check out the Dominion too.

It's funny you mention those pickups.  I have been looking at all of those and the stev s special. 

Norton has always been a though.  What is your take on the Norton?  I know you have used the Super 3 and the specs on that look great.  I love the sound clips I hear of the steves special.  It seems like a lot of people put a f activator in the JP6 for the same reasons I want to Change.   Frustrating.   

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 04:15:10 PM »
The Dominion is a pretty good all-around rock pickup. Definitely worth a look.

The Super 3 is commonly overlooked and really has more going on than it's given credit for.

When it comes to the Illuminator, I think of the CL/LF set and then imagine a little more of an organic and open character. Not 'too' tight in the lows and not 'too' smooth in the highs.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline daenius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
Have you tried messing with the pickup height extensively? The Tone Zone is known to have huge amounts of variation in tone with pickup height adjustments. Not trying to steer you away from getting a shiny new pickup but if a few turns of a couple screws can save you the trouble of soldering and money, it's worth a shot!

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »
Have you tried messing with the pickup height extensively? The Tone Zone is known to have huge amounts of variation in tone with pickup height adjustments. Not trying to steer you away from getting a shiny new pickup but if a few turns of a couple screws can save you the trouble of soldering and money, it's worth a shot!

I have messed with the height, pole pieces, and even did the half air mod.  That helped the most but it's not what I'm looking for with this guitar.