One thread finally makes it past the first page and gets locked down.... Figures

• 12 Replies

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
One page comparing pickups finally made it past the first page of comments and gets locked down for no apparent reason, other than some moderator got bored with it. There is a reason this forum has been dead for a LONG time....

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My guess is that the thread was locked because the OP's initial posted dated back 6 years so the discussion may no longer be relevant to him.

I vote to reopen it. If a member has a similar question and uses the search function it may turn up this thread so rather than creating a new one with the same or a similar topic he could expand the discussion on that one.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline sveto

• View Profile
I never understood why old threads should remain buried. The internet is a resource for information that gets searched, now, in 10 years, even in 50 years (though i doubt that this forum will survive this long).

As someone who constantly researches the interwebz and reads old threads maybe 80% of my time, i vote to keep old threads alive, i vote to open it.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Agreed. It is actually helpful for people to revisit threads later. It provides a chance to see how opinions change, or how the music scene thinks about certain tones/pickups at given times. I know that I have re-found replies that I have written from a decade ago that I completely disagree with myself about now.

Offline sveto

• View Profile
written from a decade ago that I completely disagree with myself about now.

IKR? It's crazy, sometimes a feel awkward when i read old posts from myself. But it taught me that opinions and tastes often change with time, and that one should be more tolerant of others' opinions. What you hate today could be the very thing you'll love in 10 years. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 04:38:40 PM by sveto »

BluesJam

I agree..... if the DiMarzio pickups being discussed are older than the internet, one should be grateful to say the least.  Products evolve over time and revisiting older threads can expound and make old pickup relevant again in a different sonic context... perhaps a new genre of music and/or sonic capabilities with newer software/plug ins that were not available in years past. YMMV

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
I agree..... if the DiMarzio pickups being discussed are older than the internet, one should be grateful to say the least.  Products evolve over time and revisiting older threads can expound and make old pickup relevant again in a different sonic context... perhaps a new genre of music and/or sonic capabilities with newer software/plug ins that were not available in years past. YMMV

Agreed. I always wanted to try a double whammy or megadrive, or at least hear something about them.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews

Agreed. I always wanted to try a double whammy or megadrive, or at least hear something about them.

have you tried google?   ;)

I've had a megadrive review up on my site for 5 years.    :D
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
One page comparing pickups finally made it past the first page of comments and gets locked down for no apparent reason, other than some moderator got bored with it. There is a reason this forum has been dead for a LONG time....

Seeing that I've been the only person moderating this place for well over a decade(until quite literally an hour ago), I'm pretty sure it wasn't locked because some moderator got bored with it. For the most part I don't close/lock any threads unless it's been requested.

You can always start a new thread and reference the old thread.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
I don't really care who requested that it be shut down. It wasn't my thread. I just hate to see active discussions shut down. No one had said anything offensive or contentious or against the rules in that thread. It was simply a topic that SOMEONE here thought had been covered too many times.... but it was encouraging a NEW discussion that people were participating in. I get it, some of us have heard the same question asked a million times, but to new players, this is the first time they have had the opportunity to discuss these ideas.

Thanks for responding to my post, even if it is a zombie thread from 5 months ago.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:30:44 PM by greenlion »

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
Could the OP have done so?  There are some strange posters in the world...

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile

have you tried google?   ;)

I've had a megadrive review up on my site for 5 years.    :D

What? In this world of instant gratification you have the audacity to suggest I actually take what will equate to the time it took to write this response and actually look for something? What gives?
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Could the OP have done so?  There are some strange posters in the world...
Under the forum software, each OP has the ability to close threads created by such OP. Each moderator can close threads on this forum.

If Budd did not close the thread, it can only have been the OP as at that time I was not a moderator. Even if, I have not seen anything in that thread that would have caused me to close it, and if I see something like unruly behavior I would not close any threads without giving warnings. Exception: threads that I can clearly identify as spam will be deleted without warning.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b