DimarzioForum.Com > The Pickup Place

Looking for fat neck humbucker for 24 fret super strat

<< < (2/3) > >>

Shooweri:
Yesterday I tried out GSn vs AN. Gravity Storm has more top end, less low end and bit more output in comparison. GSn probably works well in my LP due to it's tone and output.

Got that A2P set last night from a buddy and will try them tomorrow if I've time. I will receive Prail during next week.

I really hope that A2P works. Sooner or later I'll run out of options, lol.

DarthPhineas:

--- Quote from: Shooweri on August 03, 2018, 02:45:59 AM ---DarthPhineas: How does A2P and PGn compare? I've a friend with A2P set installed and he's gonna loan his guitar next week. I'll most likely get a hold on the P-Rails as well.

--- End quote ---

I cover the A2P HERE and the Pearly Gates HERE.

Shooweri:
Thanks a lot Darth, you've very informative page.

I spent some time tweaking Air Norton. Tried swapping it other way around (screw coil towards bridge) which made it less stratty and felt like it had a bit more output. It had somewhat similar vibe to Liquifire with more natural compression and not-so-good split tone when used with middle single. I tried swapping the pot into 250k and while it made the pups feel more balanced the AN still had too much high end. So, I took it out and let the pickup swapping begin, yet again..

After educating myself for last couple months and after taking all things I've found out to consideration, I really like Alnico II neck pickups over anything else. I wired the A2P neck into neck slot of my PGM and was instantly blown away. It has darker natural tone and feels like LP neck pickup. It had a little more output than AN so it's great to shred on and is more fluid overall. I'm gonna try out A2P bridge model and P-Rail and make the decision afterwards.

Speeddemon:

--- Quote from: DarthPhineas on August 04, 2018, 01:28:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: Shooweri on August 03, 2018, 02:45:59 AM ---DarthPhineas: How does A2P and PGn compare? I've a friend with A2P set installed and he's gonna loan his guitar next week. I'll most likely get a hold on the P-Rails as well.

--- End quote ---

I cover the A2P HERE and the Pearly Gates HERE.

--- End quote ---
Hi Darth,

Being a fan of both the Air Norton as a neck pickup, as well as the 36th Anniv. PAF, but wanting something slightly in between those and note; I tried and found Duncan's Alnico Pro II a bit too smooth and boomy...how you'd say the Pearly Gates neck would compare?

More on topic:
The Breed neck I found actually to be bigger *and* janglier sounding than the Air Norton in a 22fret Superstrat, but once I put that into a Gibson '67 RI Flying V it's pure magic. Thick, juicy, but with the right definition. Note that's an all mahogany guitar, 22 frets, ebony fretboard, fixed bridge (I put a black Gotoh bridge and a black aluminium (yes, European spelling=right spelling, bitches  :P 8) ) tailpiece on that. It has a Super D in the bridge, that -while nice- could have some improvement...not sure how yet.

DarthPhineas:

--- Quote ---Hi Darth,

Being a fan of both the Air Norton as a neck pickup, as well as the 36th Anniv. PAF, but wanting something slightly in between those and note; I tried and found Duncan's Alnico Pro II a bit too smooth and boomy...how you'd say the Pearly Gates neck would compare?

--- End quote ---

I’d suggest avoiding the PGn.   For something from that brand, consider maybe the SNS neck for articulation or the WLH neck for a little beef. Neither seem to get in to that smooth or boomy area. You can look at the Jazz neck, which is a AP2 with an A5, but I think it can still be a little large in the lows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version