Transitions v PAF Master v SD Alnico Pro v SD Whole Lotta Humbucker

• 6 Replies

Offline DKSEARS

• View Profile
Hey everyone.

Starting to plan my next build and thinking about the starting point for the pickups.

The plan is for a hard tail alder strat using a 24.75 scale qsawn maple neck.

I'm looking for kind of a medium output / hot PAF set.  What are you're opinions of the four sets from the title?

I play mostly modern worship music with things from Third Day and Casting Crowns to Stryper and Kutless.

I have other guitars with higher output pickups and others that are more vintage flavored.  I'm looking for this one to fill the middle ground a bit better.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Transitions v PAF Master v SD Alnico Pro v SD Whole Lotta Humbucker
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »
From the DiMarzio lineup, I'd go with the 36th in the neck and the 36th Bridge in the bridge.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:46:19 PM »
Or find a virtual hot paf dp214 and virtual paf neck, I play a lot of the same stuff at church including Lincoln Brewster, I have been buying them up when I find them they are just amazing pickups.
Another great combo is the AT-1 bridge and the EJ custom (bridge model) in the neck, I have a series/split/parallel switch connected to the at-1 also a treble bleed and a TBX tone control connected to both buckers. Parallel gives a similar tone as the virtual paf, splits well, series gives the extra oooomph. The EJ custom is nice and bright, turn down to 4-5 and it sounds like a single coil and it quacks killer with the middle single in pos 4. I'll be pulling some transitions out of my 76 Maple neck/fretboard Les Paul (too dark in that guitar) I'm going to try them in an ash body deluxe player H/H combo, I'll post results when done, VHPAF and VPAF are going in the Les Paul.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:52:55 PM by rknrollo »

Offline DKSEARS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 10:55:12 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I'll look into those sets some more, as well.  I have a few weeks until the parts arrive and am ready for them anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 11:54:21 PM »
I have a 36th set I havent tried yet, once I found the VHPAF and VPAFs, they are one of the best pups I have used, they rave about them here and on the Duncan forum. Most say they sound better than the 36th's.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
I have the VHPAF and like it a lot. It's one I'd suggest over the 36th Bridge...for my purposes. For what the OP is asking for, the 36th Bridge seems more appropriate as it would be a little more vintage flavored than the hotter vibe of the VHPAF.  They are both great.

Here's a review I did in July of the VHPAF ( http://on.fb.me/1ZFTQE3 ). Hope it helps. I have a 36th Bridge installed now and will be reviewing that one in another few weeks.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline DKSEARS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:38:31 PM »
Nice write up Darth.  I look forward to your review of the 36th bridge.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk