Peavey....WTF?

• 3 Replies

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
Peavey....WTF?
« on: April 09, 2021, 12:35:07 PM »
So I noticed around 2012 that the quality of their gear, even though they always seemed to market themselves as a lower budget alternative, started to go down a little. It was things like their combo amps (I was working at a Peavey retailer at the time), felt like feather compared to the 'ole Bandit series from back in the early to mid 80s (I know the Black widow speakers had a lot to do with the weight factor). I also noticed that, for instance the Special 212, looked and sounded like a generic copy of the transtube Special 212. Then I looked a the back and saw the absence of the Made in the USA label.

I know I am a little late to the party with the whole Undercover Boss episode, and how they ultimately did nothing they claimed they would, shut the plant down, put loyal employees out of work, just a whole douche fest on the part of Peavey. So I get an email that they have a speaker sale. I look at a  Q&A where someone is asking about the correct speaker as a replacement for their Bandit 112. The answer? "So many speakers sound so different. It's a matter of taste, I guess." This was from a PEAVEY EMPLOYEE. Do they just NOT like making money? It's no wonder they don't control the market share in the price range where they once ruled. I don't think with that attitude towards a prospective customer that any amount of moving manufacturing overseas will compensate from such a "I don't know, and furthermore, don't care that you want to spend money with me" approach to people.

What a joke of a once successful company.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Peavey....WTF?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 10:14:20 AM »
I didn't even know Peavey was on Undercover Boss!! I gotta go find it!

Sad to hear that they've been doing in quality. The old skool Bandit series were solid workhorse amps.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 11:33:54 AM »
I still have an old Bandit 75 combo that gets used at rehearsals and small gigs. I just put a pedal board in front of it and let 'er rip. I also have a silver strip Special 212 that I use for other things. Sounds good, powerful, reliable and no having to deal with the obligatory tube issues, or drunks spilling beer on it. the expensive tube amps stay home. BUT.....I have had many a jazz cat around here try and offer me stupid money for the silver stripe. They LOVE that amp. I had no idea. What it became before they dropped it was a very low quality copy.

It was after I saw this happening as a music retailer that I saw the Undercover Boss episode. Hartley's son, I believe, inherited it when Hartley got out of it and basically started running the company into the ground. He made all sorts of promises in front of the cameras to employees who had been there since the 70s and earlier that they would never move manufacturing out of this country, etc. And then once the lights from the cameras weren't on him, he did exactly what he said he wouldn't do. It was then that I REALLY noticed the quality taking a nose dive. I still have my old Peavy gear, but seeing where they are heading, the lack of concern about actually connecting with customers, and the fact that they pretty much dropped their mid range gear in favor of trying to do more high end, and only keeping the crap that doesn't sound good to a beginner in the lower end is just a recipe for disaster. And at this point, Peavey's son deserves it.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 02:54:11 AM »
[quote author=Guitar74 link=topic=15816.msg63812#msg63812 date=1617986107
 I look at a  Q&A where someone is asking about the correct speaker as a replacement for their Bandit 112. The answer? "So many speakers sound so different. It's a matter of taste, I guess." This was from a PEAVEY EMPLOYEE. Do they just NOT like making money? It's no wonder they don't control the market share in the price range where they once ruled. I don't think with that attitude towards a prospective customer that any amount of moving manufacturing overseas will compensate from such a "I don't know, and furthermore, don't care that you want to spend money with me" approach to people.
[/quote]

Fully agree. The employee's reply clearly shows that he neither knew the original product nor the current product line nor did care to get that knowledge. Instead he chose to ignore the question he was asked. This attitude is highly unprofessional.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b