Experience/opinions wanted - Strat

• 6 Replies

Offline Wildwind

• View Profile
Experience/opinions wanted - Strat
« on: March 27, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
Is anyone running a Virtual Solo in the neck position? Thoughts? I have an extra one and want to not waste it.

One choice - h/s/s Strat running a Suhr Thornbucker in the neck, thinking the VS might match up nicely. A "vintage" Strat neck pickup can be too strident for what I play.

Another choice - VS in the middle of my s/s/s Strat (Heavy Blues 2 in the bridge). I still want some quack but am okay with it not being purely vintage-sounding.

I bought a Virtual Vintage 54 Pro. Choices are either neck or middle position of a s/s/s Strat. I'm thinking the 54 might enhance quack a bit in the middle to make up for the non-vintage bridge pickups.

I have an Area 67 in the middle of my h/s/s Strat and like it. What changes can I expect if I replace it with the 54?

Is the Area 67 a good choice in the neck? Or would you use the 54 there?

Lots of questions but figured it was best to combine. All comments welcome.

The facts - I'm not looking for vintage tones and prefer a VS or HB2 in the bridge (tonally). Please keep recommendations to DiMarzio silent pickups. Lots to choose from and I'm very loyal and happy with these products. Style is a mix of several - pop, new country, classic rock, blues. No metal. I do use high-gain tones but spend 95% of my time with club clean and light crunch tones.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Experience/opinions wanted - Strat
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:31:10 AM »
Hi,

I am also not a fan of true vintage strat pickups.

Is anyone running a Virtual Solo in the neck position? Thoughts? I have an extra one and want to not waste it.

I only used it in the bridge. I could imagine that it works well with a humbucker in the bridge.

One choice - h/s/s Strat running a Suhr Thornbucker in the neck, thinking the VS might match up nicely. A "vintage" Strat neck pickup can be too strident for what I play.

You mean the Thornbucker is in the bridge? As I said that could work well. Virtual Solo in the bridge may be overpowered by a neck humbucker.

Another choice - VS in the middle of my s/s/s Strat (Heavy Blues 2 in the bridge). I still want some quack but am okay with it not being purely vintage-sounding.

Personally I would not use a darker middle pickup than the bridge pickup so I would put the VS in the bridge and the HB2 in the middle given these two choices.

I bought a Virtual Vintage 54 Pro. Choices are either neck or middle position of a s/s/s Strat. I'm thinking the 54 might enhance quack a bit in the middle to make up for the non-vintage bridge pickups.

VV 54 Pro in the middle is an excellent choice. I have one guitar where I have it with an Area 67 in the neck and a Virtual Hot PAF in the bridge and the VV 54 Pro in the middle provides for excellent quack in the #2 and #4 positions.

I have an Area 67 in the middle of my h/s/s Strat and like it. What changes can I expect if I replace it with the 54?

Is the Area 67 a good choice in the neck? Or would you use the 54 there?

The 54 is a bit darker and a tiny bit higher output than the 67. I prefer it or the 58 over the 67 for the middle position.

The Area 67 is my preferred choice for the neck, and I definitely prefer it over the 58 there. I have not yet used the 54 in the neck position.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Wildwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:16:50 AM »
Thanks for a great reply!

And yes, the Thornbucker is in the bridge.

HB2 in the middle is an intriguing option I had not considered. And I agree on a brighter middle pickup. It's how it's bright, if you know what I mean. I ran an Area 58 in the middle of the s/s/s Strat for years but came to dislike it (or tire of it). I'm much happier with the Area 67 in the middle of the h/s/s Strat.

54 Pro - thanks for your comments there. I was learning that way but unsure. No longer. My friend's h/s/s Strat has 54s in both neck and middle and sound fantastic. But I already have too many pickups...for now anyway.

Your thoughts on the 54 in the middle and Area 67 in the neck have given me pause. I wasn't going to move the 67. But now I'm thinking I might.

One thing I learned last night - the s/s/s Strat temporarily has a Virtual Solo in the bridge and neck. My friend tried out my HB2 in the bridge of one of his Strats and I let him keep it. His HB2 has been shipped and then we'll do surgery yet again.

So he stuck a second Virtual Solo in my guitar. The neck VS is set way low for balancing. And it is balanced but frankly doesn't sound good to me. Driven hard is fine (but not great). Clean it sounds dull. The HB2 sounded much better there.

Current thoughts remain a little jumbled but your note was a huge help. I'm leaning toward HB2 in the bridge and 54 Pro in the neck. For now the Area 58 in the middle will have to stay but I like it there, and prefer it in the middle over the neck.

The h/s/s Strat (Thornbucker, Area 67, Area 58) was supposed to get the VS in the neck. Now I'm not so sure. We had thought it would balance better with the hum, but it balances fine now and doesn't sit too high. So I need to get out my screwdriver and play around with the VS in the s/s/s Strat and see if I can dial it in. But I suspect I'm going to have to buy one other pickup, probably another 54 Pro.

As mentioned, buying or building another Strat is tempting. I do have a decent MIM I could mod. It plays well, but compared to my other guitars, the neck is a drawback. Nothing Warmoth can't fix. And mixing/matching my "leftover" DiMarzios might motivate me.

There is something about that 54 Pro that really sits strong with me. And my friend's guitar with two of them is running a Thornbucker in the bridge and they balance great. This is IMO his best-sounding guitar (and all of his/ours are really good-sounding), so I can see myself going this way.

During all this, I have come to truly appreciate Steve and Larry's work. Great designs, something for everybody, and fairly priced. I noticed that is all but impossible to buy these used. They've sold thousands and nobody is selling, even if they sit in a spares box. I will sell a couple of mine, maybe a 58 and 61 (and will still have at least one of each on-hand). I looked very hard at Kinman, Mojotone, and others, thinking I needed a change of maker. But I am happy I stayed in the family and discovered pickups I had not noticed. I got hung up on Virtual Vintage vs. Areas.

One more time - many thanks!

Greg

Offline satch_jr

• View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/mathiasremy
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
I also have a 54 pro in the middle position of my Ibanez RG, coupled with EVO 2 and EVO neck. The 54 pro is sitting there for 10 years, it was advised by my luthier and it never moved from there. This one is a keeper!  8)
I'm not seeking for the quack in 2 & 4 positions as I do not split the HBs, but I do switch the neck HB in parallel wiring, and coupled with the 54 pro it gives a shining sound!
I moved it just for experimenting in another guitar on the neck position: the sound is georgeous too, but I still prefer the paf joe in neck in that other guitar (originally H-H-H guitar)

Offline Wildwind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
Thanks! I am going to install the 54 Pro this weekend in the neck of my h/s/s Strat. I expect it will never move from there. So it will be Thornbucker, Area 67, and 54 Pro.

And I'm going to put the HB2 in the bridge and neck of my Melancon. I had one in the neck briefly - loaned it to a friend who loves it in the bridge of his Strat - so I'm going that route. Area 58 in the middle, which sounds amazing in this guitar.

So glad I stayed with DiMarzio!

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »

And yes, the Thornbucker is in the bridge.

as an aside, what do you think of the Thornbucker?  any comments?

thanks!
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Wildwind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
I like it very much. I've tried a bunch through the years and most were quite good. But this one is the best of them. Very musical sounding, tight bass, sweet mids and highs, excellent detail. I don't split the coils on this, so no comment there.

My best friend likes them so much he has like three of them, including one is a Strat (the others are in a PRS, where it does sound very good with split coils).

Highly recommended.