Middle single in an HSH

• 8 Replies

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
Middle single in an HSH
« on: March 10, 2021, 12:21:58 PM »
I am looking for something for the middle position of my RG that has a little less magnetic pull as it grabs the strings when I dive the trem. Even when I lower it, the pickup just grabs the strings and you get a nice "bam" as a result. Any ideas?
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Middle single in an HSH
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:42:34 PM »
What middle pickup are you using?

I've always just lowered my middle pickup a whole lot but that's mostly because I rarely if ever use it and would have preferred a HH setup over a HSH setup on my RGs.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 07:41:09 AM »
Right now, it's the oem. I will lower it a little more. That being said, I do use it quite a bit for clean passages, usually in one of the notch positions along with either 'bucker.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline mobys436

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 07:35:02 PM »
Try a seymour duncan alnico 2 pro (the singlecoil, not the hb). Tried a true velvet, ssl-5, fs1, and sds1 before settling on the a2 pro to pair with breed set. It's low output and warm.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:29:17 AM »
All the Area line except the VSolo and the VV Blues use A2, so string pull is low.  Pick the one that gets you the heat you want.  I like the '61 in an HSH setup.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
Thanks. I have a lot of options now. That's not a bad thing.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 06:16:39 AM »
Just curious which one you ended up with.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 08:09:03 AM »
Dimarzio Cruiser Bridge in the middle position. Great stratty tones with less string pull, and it keeps up with humbuckers better than most traditional singles.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 01:44:57 AM »
I am looking for something for the middle position of my RG that has a little less magnetic pull as it grabs the strings when I dive the trem. Even when I lower it, the pickup just grabs the strings and you get a nice "bam" as a result. Any ideas?

Anything without Alnico 5 rod magnets.   Alnico 5 rods have insane string pull, cause buzzy strings and intonation issues unless at least 1/4" from the string when held at the last fret.  I quit using them years ago because of that, and was reminded why again recently when doing a setup on a guitar that had Alnico 5 rod magnets..........yikes.  They do NOT play well with low action, and they MUST be far, far from the strings.  Alnico 2 or 3 is actually louder in practical usage because you can get it much closer to the string without issue.  Something like a Cruiser, which is a rail pickup designed to sound like a single, would also have low string pull.