pickup choice to replace emg 81-7

• 13 Replies

Offline awjb

• View Profile
pickup choice to replace emg 81-7
« on: November 06, 2016, 03:04:33 AM »
Hi,

I'm currently running the following rig...

- Peavey Triple X with jj 12ax7's and jj kt77s
- Maxon OD 808 overdrive pedal
- marshall 1960b cab with combination of v30s and t75s
- Halo pt7 with baritone 27" scale, alder body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard Tune-o-matic bridge, with an emg 81-7 pickup in the bridge position.

So I love the highs, upper mids, saturation  and articulation that I can get with the current rig, but it needs more beef in the lower end. I suspect the problem might be the pickup combined with the alder body of the guitar. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there a dimarzio pickup (for 7 string) that will reproduce the qualities of the emg 81-7 described above but with more balls in the lower end?

Offline Timius

• View Profile
Re: pickup choice to replace emg 81-7
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:03:30 AM »
Sounds like a D-Sonic 7 is what you need.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 07:37:30 AM »
Could be the amp also. EMG 81s aren't that bass heavy, but you can achieve that heaviness through different amps

Offline awjb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 11:11:09 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check the D-Sonic 7.

Regarding the amp. I tried a friends guitar and it sounded brutal (although it lacked the clarity I like).

Cheers

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 02:27:21 AM »
What guitar/pickups did your friend have?

Offline awjb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 06:45:56 AM »
It's an 7 string RG Series Ibazez. I think it's the stock pickups - that's all I know.

Cheers.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 07:27:42 AM »
It's an 7 string RG Series Ibazez. I think it's the stock pickups - that's all I know.

Cheers.
Ok. If you think it sounded great its probably a good idea to get the specific name and guitar model and do some further research. Perhaps its a Dimarzio in it already? Then email Dimarzio Tech about it and ask for a similar pickup with more clarity.

Offline Amplifuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 07:57:38 PM »
Playing thru the Maxon will cut any 'beef' from any pickup you put into it. Which is actually a good thing, so everything stays nice and tight even when downtuning, as you noticed. Put the beef back with the amp's EQ or with a stompbox graphic EQ in the effects loop as a last resort.

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 12:36:42 AM »
Hi,

I'm currently running the following rig...

- Peavey Triple X with jj 12ax7's and jj kt77s
- Maxon OD 808 overdrive pedal
- marshall 1960b cab with combination of v30s and t75s
- Halo pt7 with baritone 27" scale, alder body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard Tune-o-matic bridge, with an emg 81-7 pickup in the bridge position.

So I love the highs, upper mids, saturation  and articulation that I can get with the current rig, but it needs more beef in the lower end. I suspect the problem might be the pickup combined with the alder body of the guitar. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there a dimarzio pickup (for 7 string) that will reproduce the qualities of the emg 81-7 described above but with more balls in the lower end?

Hello,

I think EMG-81 is tight and great for Djent type of music. About DMZ, apart from other ppl's suggestion, how about the obvious choice : D-activator 7 ?

Also I am deeply interested in the Halo 7-string. Are you satisfied with it? Any pics/reviews? Construction method? Maybe you could open up a thread in Guitar section to present this?

Thanx

Offline awjb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 03:38:43 AM »
>>Put the beef back with the amp's EQ or with a stompbox graphic EQ in the effects loop as a last resort.
I'll need to get onto an eq to try out. Thanks for the suggestion.

>>I think EMG-81 is tight and great for Djent type of music. About DMZ, apart from other ppl's suggestion, how about the obvious choice : D-activator 7 ?
I will look into it - thanks.

>>Also I am deeply interested in the Halo 7-string. Are you satisfied with it?
It took some adjustment to my playing as I transitioned from a 25.5" 6 string Jackson Rhoads with a floating schaller trem. Having played it for a while i don't mind it. For my tastes I would have liked several millimetres carved into the body so that the bridge could sit a little lower to give my picking hand a better anchor. Overall I don't mind it.

>>Any pics/reviews?
The best i've got is raw vid footage from a few gigs. For example:
https://video-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/12343819_774828625955571_1176508264_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjY5MywicmxhIjoxNTUyLCJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InYzXzQyNl9jcmZfMjNfbWFpbl8zLjBfc2QifQ%3D%3D&rl=693&vabr=385&oh=af0a735752ab8907921b43bed39d5b39&oe=583D66FA

>>Construction method?
I think you would have to contact Halo for the nitty gritty on that. I can only say that it has a bolt on neck. the body seems like a solid slab of alder (the finish is slightly transparent).

I paid around $750 Aus delivered to my door (from San Francisco to Ballarat Aus) so excellent value all things considered.

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 02:44:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that about the Halo. My Ibanez 7-string (UV70p) sits almost flush with the body. Got used to it in just a week. But I had some issues with it having to do neck bolts stability. All turned up good. Still the neck-though design (or set-in when done well) can give the maximum access.

Offline awjb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 08:34:27 PM »
Problem solved! I had the amp serviced and now it's a beast \m/

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

>>Sorry to hear that about the Halo.
Yeah, I am used to it now for what I have to do.

>>My Ibanez 7-string (UV70p) sits almost flush with the body.
Yeah, I just have a look at one then. Nice.

>>But I had some issues with it having to do neck bolts stability.
Really. I don't know much about ibanez. Still surprising though.

>>Still the neck-though design (or set-in when done well) can give the maximum access.
True.

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 11:33:14 PM »
Glad you solved it! And also saved your money :)

Offline rumblebox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 09:21:24 PM »
I was gonna say lol. A XXX with KT77's and an active pickup should be a kick in the chest with every palm-muted downstroke.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk

71 deluxe goldtop [BB1, CWP P90]
LTD MH-350NT [BB3,BB2,BB1]
RG450 [Air Norton, stock middle, Cruiser]
LTD M-100 [2 GFS vintage hot singles]
Dean Avalanche 7 [PAF 7's]