Crunch Lab alternative for Ibanez RGA121

• 3 Replies

Offline Dave Simpson

• View Profile
Crunch Lab alternative for Ibanez RGA121
« on: December 17, 2017, 01:46:35 AM »
I currently have a Crunch Lab and LiquiFire set in my Ibanez RGA121. Love the LiquiFire but find the Crunch Lab to be too loose and boomy in the bridge. Any suggestions for a replacement for the Crunch Lab?

I'm using a EVH 5150 III 50 watt head and going for a Metallica Ride The Lightning type of tone. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Crunch Lab alternative for Ibanez RGA121
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 08:12:37 AM »
You don't want loose and boomy, but what tone do you want from the bridge pickup? I rarely hear a bridge pickup referred to as boomy, and loose does not come to mind when I think of the Crunch Lab. The Crunch Lab definitely has less bass than many other Dimarzio pickups. Are you sure you have the pickup height set correctly? (somewhere around 4 or 5 -64ths of an inch from the strings)

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 09:16:10 AM »

I'm using a EVH 5150 III 50 watt head and going for a Metallica Ride The Lightning type of tone. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Something aggressive.  Maybe a little tight, but you can shape a lot of your time with your amp and the right pedals/fx.

I don’t hear the CL as loose and boomy, but we may also have different ideas behind those descriptions. Whatever it may be, it sounds like you’re not happy with the CL.

Check out:  Super D. Super 3. X2N. MegaDrive.

Another consideration might be the cab and speakers you are using.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline RolanTHUNDER

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 04:11:51 AM »
Try a D Activator X. I have one in my RG470FM and the guitar is currently tuned to drop B and holds that tuning very well with enough tightness and clarity to cut well. The normal D Activator will sound brighter if you want something a bit brighter than the CL or DAX.