Leslie West Tone

• 7 Replies

Offline bubs_42

• View Profile
Leslie West Tone
« on: December 05, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »
So his Original Signature Dean had a Dimarzio Humbucker in it. Anyone know what it was?

BadBen

Re: Leslie West Tone
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:17:55 AM »
He played a MegaDrive for years. Could be that was in that Dean?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Marshall Law

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
I bought a brand new DMT "Mountain of tone" and it has " Thee" leslie west tone in spades.
Not my cup if tea but for that tone it is the goods.
Bubs_42 i sent you a PM 8)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:42:16 PM by ed hunter »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »
picked up a MegaDrive not long ago on a suggestion from someone that played them almost exclusively for years.

did a review on it here:  http://darthphineas.com/2015/11/dimarzio-megadrive-dp107/
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Marshall Law

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 09:57:30 AM »
picked up a MegaDrive not long ago on a suggestion from someone that played them almost exclusively for years.

did a review on it here:  http://darthphineas.com/2015/11/dimarzio-megadrive-dp107/
I used one of these after finding out Tony mac used it on Maximum security and project driver
It is a really good balanced pu, and FWIW it is similar(dimarzio says too close ) Tonally  to the STEVE's special' model. So they starting offering it as a custom order only like you said.
I own the Steve's special as well and while it does have some similar traits in tone i felt the megadrive
was overall more Juicy,chewy and had more character.
The megadrive is better for post mountain tones for the Old leslie west mountain tone i would go dimarzio Bluesbucker http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/bluesbucker
 or the dean "mountain of tone"
He used a P-90 back then and both of those are based on a P-90 8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:59:07 AM by ed hunter »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 03:32:29 PM »
I agree that the Steve's Special is not a ringer for the MegaDrive.  I think that it might be that the specs on the 2 are the closer to each other than either is to anything else.

Steve's Special in blue
MegaDrive in red

Output mV

DCR
==================

================-

Treble
=====-

=====

Mids
====-

=====

Bass
=======-

=======

the MegaDrive is a little less scooped and specs indicate it should be a little more open sounding than the SS. 
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 04:38:25 AM »
It's been a while that I had a Megadrive and I no longer own the guitar it was in. But it definitely felt like a hot pickup whereas the DLX Plus (which is said to be the Steve's Special in P90 form factor) feels medium output to me.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 11:59:59 PM »
Great review Darth finius!!!Hey it's been awhile. Leslie West is one of my favorites guitarist him & Hendrix. I could play fast runs & SCALES but mountain taught me how to play guitar!!!! Know what I mean not necessarily fast but IMPACTFUL nasty & powerful. Where can I get one,do they have color options & how much??? You guys rock man