Walking away from a sale

• 4 Replies

Offline Fender Doll

• View Profile
Walking away from a sale
« on: May 09, 2020, 06:46:56 AM »
Hello there everyone, I hope everyone is staying safe and well during these crazy times.

I wanted to share a story and maybe get people's thoughts on an experience I had before the lockdown kicked off, and wondered if anyone has had something similar because I'm still wondering if I did the right thing. I know certainly some people may call me mad.

I was in my local guitar store deliberately checking out Les Paul's comparing 50's and 60's style models. I was literally on the verge of purchasing what would be my first Gibson Les Paul when I noticed a very small hairline crack on the nut. I did mention this and they said it may just be a tooling mark. The rest of the guitar was fine and played great.

While I know full well that wether it's a crack in the nut or just a mark as they said, it's an easy fix. I just didn't feel comfortable any more. It was nothing to do with being able to afford it but it just didn't fit right to me having spend 2 grand on a new guitar that I may then still have to get extra work done. To me that just didn't seem like value for money. Not when I have 2 strats that play great and I used them straight from the box from the get go, neither of which needed any work.

In the end I walked away, I did feel bad for what I thought may have been wasting their time but they said they understood.

To this day I still think about it and wonder if I did the right thing, but it has seriously made me think about Epiphone again because while there may be some differences to the Gibson the value for money seems way higher, especially for some of the things they are putting out. I guess while I would potentially spend money on a Gibson I would prefer one without any defects.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Walking away from a sale
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 01:01:53 PM »
I wouldn't feel bad about wasting their time and you did the right thing. This happens more often than you think so the sales people at the guitar shops totally understand. I'm surprised they didn't offer you a discount on the guitar or offer to replace the nut for you if you purchased it.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 02:49:39 AM »
You certainly did the right thing. Such things should not be present on a new guitar, even if they can be fixed with not too much effort. I agree with Budd that the store should have offered to fix it in case of a sale.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Skydog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 11:53:53 PM »
Hello there everyone, I hope everyone is staying safe and well during these crazy times.

I wanted to share a story and maybe get people's thoughts on an experience I had before the lockdown kicked off, and wondered if anyone has had something similar because I'm still wondering if I did the right thing. I know certainly some people may call me mad.

I was in my local guitar store deliberately checking out Les Paul's comparing 50's and 60's style models. I was literally on the verge of purchasing what would be my first Gibson Les Paul when I noticed a very small hairline crack on the nut. I did mention this and they said it may just be a tooling mark. The rest of the guitar was fine and played great.

While I know full well that wether it's a crack in the nut or just a mark as they said, it's an easy fix. I just didn't feel comfortable any more. It was nothing to do with being able to afford it but it just didn't fit right to me having spend 2 grand on a new guitar that I may then still have to get extra work done. To me that just didn't seem like value for money. Not when I have 2 strats that play great and I used them straight from the box from the get go, neither of which needed any work.

In the end I walked away, I did feel bad for what I thought may have been wasting their time but they said they understood.

To this day I still think about it and wonder if I did the right thing, but it has seriously made me think about Epiphone again because while there may be some differences to the Gibson the value for money seems way higher, especially for some of the things they are putting out. I guess while I would potentially spend money on a Gibson I would prefer one without any defects.
I wonder if the store owner knows how lucky he was…

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »
I have said this a million times:  For $2k the guitar should have been gone over with a microscope.  End of story, not acceptable.

Now - the cool BUSINESS move would have been to offer you whatever nut was a sensible replacement.  That's their problem.

You?  TOTALLY the right move.