Favorite bridge pickup for shredding?

• 16 Replies

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Favorite bridge pickup for shredding?
« on: March 10, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
So, yes...which pickup do you prefer, and why, when you wanna do Shrapnel stuff like early Gilbert/Bouillet, Vinnie Moore, Macalpine, Tafolla etc? 

For me the neck pickup is always the Super 2, I think its unbeatable for that super-fluid, bubbly tone but I still am not 100% decided on the bridge pickup. The Tone Zone is a candidate for sure, and the Super Distortion as well but I want to hear from you guys. Anybody using the Evo 2 for instance? Ive never tried it but it looks intriguing. Would be cool to hear some comparisons on that, the TZ and SD, or any other favorites you might have.

Offline Timius

• View Profile
Re: Favorite bridge pickup for shredding?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 01:54:13 PM »
I really am digging the original Evo that I but in my JP6.  The super D is always a good choice. 

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:21:34 PM »
Considering all the pickups Gilbert has used over the years the pickup doesn't really seem to matter. :)

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 01:06:51 AM »
Considering all the pickups Gilbert has used over the years the pickup doesn't really seem to matter. :)
Yeah, for him it certainly doesnt matter.
Which pickup do you like for that style?

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 12:04:21 PM »
If you are using the Super 2 neck, the best match would be the Super D bridge. The Tone Zone might work as well, but the Super D has a very similar character to the Super 2.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »
If you are using the Super 2 neck, the best match would be the Super D bridge. The Tone Zone might work as well, but the Super D has a very similar character to the Super 2.
Yup I agree, they work great together. I've had that combo in this particular guitar for a long time. I love the TZ too.
I'm just interested in hearing what other people like and use.

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »
Evo 2 is my favorite bridge humbucker. Yes. It is a bit smoother and warmer version of original Evolution. A little bit more bass. But still very tight. It is tighter and brighter than TZ. Fuller but again tighter than JB. Works great on alder and more greater on basswood. Has better responsivity for lower tunings than original evo or TZ. And more versatile.
If you will put it on alder guiter I do not recomend using D'addario nickel strings. Better works with Ernie Ball. Or it will lose attack.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 04:41:25 AM »
Evo 2 is my favorite bridge humbucker. Yes. It is a bit smoother and warmer version of original Evolution. A little bit more bass. But still very tight. It is tighter and brighter than TZ. Fuller but again tighter than JB. Works great on alder and more greater on basswood. Has better responsivity for lower tunings than original evo or TZ. And more versatile.
If you will put it on alder guiter I do not recomend using D'addario nickel strings. Better works with Ernie Ball. Or it will lose attack.
Sound awesome. I gotta try it!

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 08:26:06 AM »
I love 36th PAFs, Injectors, Choppers, and I just ordered a Satch Track which I have high hopes for.

Ive got Tone Zones in a couple guitars but I want to replace them. They're too different from the PAFs which I find much more versatile.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:22:40 AM by Matt_B »

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 10:05:34 AM »
I love 36th PAFs, Injectors, Choppers, and I just ordered a Satch Track which I have high hopes for.

Ive got Tone Zones in a couple guitars but I want to replace them. They're too different from the PAFs which I find much more versatile.
I love the Satch Track. If you dig the Chopper I think you might like the ST even more.

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
I love the Satch Track. If you dig the Chopper I think you might like the ST even more.
i think I will. The Chopper matches well with the the Tone Zone in that it's thick like the TZ. I think the Satch Track will work well with the the 36th PAF.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 10:59:15 PM »
So many great bridge pickups from Dimarzio. But my all time favourite would be the Tone Zone

Offline daenius

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 02:54:37 AM »
If you wanna do the Shrapnel stuff you want something high output with compression and smooth sounding

Evo or Evo 2 would do the job really well
Tone Zone is great too
I've also had a lot of success with the D Sonic doing that kind of stuff, so you can look into that whole family (Crunch Lab, Illuminator)

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 04:26:01 AM »
So many great bridge pickups from Dimarzio. But my all time favourite would be the Tone Zone
I couldn't agree more. I have the TZ/PAF Pro combo in two Ibanez RGs and it smokes.

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Again, I have to recommend the Evo set.  I love it more everytime I pick up my guitar.  Doesn't sound shrill, and is well balanced so it makes it a great change up from the tone zone.