Tone Zone Air Norton combo

• 7 Replies

Offline Spergie

• View Profile
Tone Zone Air Norton combo
« on: July 29, 2022, 06:50:50 PM »
I'm thinking this dated but popular pickup combo will sound good in an alder body with maple neck guitar. Does anyone here have this set up? Any sound clips?

Don't laugh but they are going in this.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Tone Zone Air Norton combo
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 07:11:45 PM »
Hope they work in that guitar. I never had any luck with the Tone Zone in Alder bodied guitars. I like it in Basswood. I liked the Breed set much better in Alder.

Offline Spergie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 05:08:34 PM »
I like it in Basswood

Indeed. I had them in a OLP MM1 (Axis clone) that was Basswood and they sounded good. I read Alder was good too but not Mahogany.

Offline Spergie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 03:14:10 AM »
Hope they work in that guitar. I never had any luck with the Tone Zone in Alder bodied guitars. I like it in Basswood. I liked the Breed set much better in Alder.

They work and sound really good. This is the first time I've had a guitar where I enjoyed the sound with  neck and bridge together. They are too low ATM

Offline aizenx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 04:01:43 PM »
TZ/AN works in a ton of wood combos. It excels is just about everything including alder, basswood, poplar, ash, etc. Also, the whole "TZ is mud in mahogany" thing is definitely a massive blanket statement (usually plagued by user error) and should not be taken as dogma. Sure, in some pieces of wood it sounds bloated/muddy, but a lot of mahogany guitars work just fine with it.

It really depends on whether your particular piece of wood is dark or not. I have a few mahogany axes that sound awesome with that combo (alder as well).
good deals with: slugworth; RayBarbeeMusic; wxs3

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 03:41:09 AM »
Many woods are marketed as "mahogany" but they are not the same species. You will find

- Swietennia macrophylla, which is equivalent to the original Honduras mahogany
- Khaya ivoriensis, which comes from Africa and looks similar to mahogany
- I think there is also an Asian variant but I forgot how it is called

Even among the same species the wood varies wildly. As a result, it is almost impossible to say "mahogany sounds like ...".

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline aizenx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 11:42:42 AM »
Many woods are marketed as "mahogany" but they are not the same species. You will find

- Swietennia macrophylla, which is equivalent to the original Honduras mahogany
- Khaya ivoriensis, which comes from Africa and looks similar to mahogany
- I think there is also an Asian variant but I forgot how it is called

Even among the same species the wood varies wildly. As a result, it is almost impossible to say "mahogany sounds like ...".

Cheers Stephan

Well said!
good deals with: slugworth; RayBarbeeMusic; wxs3

Offline jim777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 11:34:52 AM »
I have the TZ/BV/AN combo in an alder bodied/maple-rosewood necked  Ibanez 2750Q I just got, and I don't think they sound bad exactly, but I don't find it a versatile set. I'm likel going to put a PAF Joe in the neck and still deciding on a new bridge pickup. I love the look of the silver/blue UtoPIA pickups but they aren't terribly versatile either. That said, regarding versatility, both sets can absolutely sound good, but if you're doing cover band stuff you need a wide array of sounds and I don't think either set fits that bill.