Dimarzio PAF 36th vs. 59 PAF?

• 5 Replies

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
Dimarzio PAF 36th vs. 59 PAF?
« on: September 16, 2021, 09:01:47 PM »
Hi folks, been awhile since I been on here, hope everyone is well.
So I have a real nice Warmoth semi hollow 2 humbucker 335 style guitar. I have a Gibson Burstbucker  in the neck and it is fine, sounds great and real warm even in the Treble.
For the bridge I  am looking for something classically   PAF in output and and sound character, and the the guitar itself is very bright sounding, so the Duncan PAF Pearly gates in the bridge now is just  pretty harsh sounding.
What do you think of my postulation  that a lot of the  boutique pure exact  replica PAF's out there may be fine for an original  59 Les Paul or 335  with it's warm sounding aged old growth wood, but are way to bright for a modern guitar?
Well that is why I am going for a Dimarzio. Larry and Steve seems to have taken into account that they slightly need to tweak the treble on their to make it smoother for most guitars .
Now, I like the fact that the PAF 59 is not potted. I'm good with that, and I don't play high gain and   also think it adds to the richness of the tone as is a pretty common conception.
Anyway, which would you say is a smoother high end between the 59 PAF and the 36th PAF? What other differences between the two PAf's?
Anyone have any experience with both pickups and could give me some insight?
Thanks!!!

EDIT-
Well thanks for nothing... tee hee..but I've decided to err on the side of caution and try an Air Zone in the bridge. I do want o stay in the sort of PAF domain. THis way, if it works, I can try and swing back to a PAF 59 or 36th, and if it still doesn't work ( the guitar needs serious help with being overly bright) , I can try a Gravity Storm.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:02:50 AM by Jerryman »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Dimarzio PAF 36th vs. 59 PAF?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 09:48:13 PM »
The Dimarzio PAF 59 is not going to help with your brightness problem. I would think that the Air Zone was a really good choice.

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 10:10:35 PM »
The Dimarzio PAF 59 is not going to help with your brightness problem. I would think that the Air Zone was a really good choice.

Thank you so much for the input! I trust that evaluation. What about a Transition Bridge? I have a set languishing in the dark  dank depths of my pickup dungeon. Hard to believe there is not a review on the Transition  pickup in the "Everything you Always wanted to know". Maybe a Breed neck in bridge?

EDIT- Well, ok folks, just ordered a Breed neck, wish me luck. If that doesn't work I'll throw in a Gravity Storm and call it a day. BTW, I had a Duncan Custom shop Pearly Gates/ Antiquities hybride in the bridge- nice pup, but up the neck had a bad shrill spike in the treble in this axe.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 11:57:46 AM by Jerryman »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 02:40:53 AM »
I think Budd made a review on the Transition set. I will check whether I find the link.

Cheers Stephan

EDIT: seems to be gone, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:44:01 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 10:10:22 PM »
OK boyz... so i just installed the breed neck in the bridge, and the operation was successful. The patient lives!  The Breed rounded out the highs JUST enough to not to totally  icepick my ear, well, unless I really really turned the amp up, which I guess most pickups will do. In general, not as nice overall as the Antiquities, but  hey, you can't have your cake and eat it too, and it's a sacrifice I am more than willing to make. Still, the Breed neck in bridge is a very  good sounding pickup, and the middle /neck position really excels with my Gibson Burstbucker neck pickup.  Not sure what value pots , but using a .047 tone cap that also made a big difference when I replaced the .022 cap.
So if any of you are in a quandry with the same type of issue, and don't wanna go whole hog on something like an Air Zone for the bridge in a classic guitar ( like my 335 style), and want to stay PAF'ish , then might wanna try the Breed neck in bridge. I will say it takes some rather judicious tweaking of height to achieve optimal performance.
Still have not tried the Gravity Storm, however that is moving  sideways form the hot output PAF realm , but for now, the patient is healed and discharged.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 05:22:25 AM by Jerryman »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 02:52:01 AM »
I agree that the Breed neck is a very good choice for the bridge - I have it in my HSS alder strat.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b