Bridge pickup for my Les Paul

• 8 Replies

Offline stephen78

• View Profile
Bridge pickup for my Les Paul
« on: September 01, 2021, 09:44:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I currently have the DiMarzio 36th set in my LP. Absolutely love the neck pickup. I also really like the bridge pickup...but I want something slightly thicker and hotter (but not too hot...I want to stay in the vintage hot category), while retaining the same EQ of the 36th bridge. I just need a tad more grunt from it. My LP is a little scooped sounding acoustically, so the mids of the 36th bridge really help. I need to be able to cover classic rock through hard rock with the bridge pickup...so I'd like it to be able to handle some extra gain, but also retain a vintage vibe when playing with light overdrive. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
Re: Bridge pickup for my Les Paul
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 06:15:28 PM »
Air Zone, AT-1, and Breed neck come to mind. You can always back them away from the strings to clean them up.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 02:32:36 AM »
I second the AT-1 suggestion if "thick" is what you are after. Breed neck would also be good but with 500k pots it is very bright. I have one in a HSS strat and use a 250k volume pot - that warms it up enough but it is still clear and bright so this is what I would recommend with the Breed neck. Output is roughly the same as an Air Norton. AT-1 would be a step up in output from the 36th.

Keep in mind that the Breeds are no longer part of the regular pickup line and only available through the custom shop.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
AT-1, PAF Master, Breed, Air Zone, Norton
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline stephen78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 07:25:45 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’ve decided to order an Air Norton for the bridge. I did some research and read that they work nicely as a hot PAF in LPs without going over the top. I really don’t want to stray too far from the 36th bridge…just looking for a tad extra. If the Air Norton doesn’t work out I can always exchange it.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 03:36:50 AM »
Yes, Air Norton is what Nash uses in his Les Paul makeovers, together with a Bluesbucker in the neck.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline stephen78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 03:54:31 PM »
Got the Air Norton installed today in my LP. I can't believe I don't hear much about this as a bridge pickup for Les Pauls (other than Nash using them). It did exactly what I was hoping...slightly thicker/hotter tone while remaining vintage sounding. It's warm and juicy like a hot PAF, but still remains completely clear without having a muted high end that some overwound PAF types have. Maybe it's the whole airbucker technology at work with an A5 magnet. Really digging it so far!

If anybody has the 36th bridge and wishes it was slightly fatter/hotter...Air Norton is the ticket without going over the top.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 03:20:51 AM »
Your impression is very similar to what I noticed when I replaced my Virtual Hot PAF for an Air Norton. The Virtual Hot PAF was the predecessor to the 36th Anniversary Bridge.

Cheers Stephan

Offline HeyNorton!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »
The fortitude is a 36th with a bit more oomph.

I'd Gove that a go if the air norton doesn't work.