Question about HSH Pickup combination

• 4 Replies

Offline JH

• View Profile
Question about HSH Pickup combination
« on: August 30, 2021, 11:49:31 AM »
First of all, I'm sorry that I'm not good at English.
(I am from a non-English speaking country in Asia)
The sentence may not be smooth... Please be generous.

I'd like to do a pickup combination of H-S-H alder body strat.
Here's what I've been thinking.
N : DP151 paf pro
M : DP110 FS-1
B : DP100 Super D

Wiring : 5-way Ibanez JEM style wiring

Favorite Music : 7080s Heavy Metal, Hard Rock

Here's the question.
1) Is this pickup combination appropriate?
(I'm not going to change the bridge pickup DP100. If you recommend another neck or middle pickup, please let me know.)

2) Do I have to order middle pickup in RWRP model?

Thank you in advance.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:56:42 AM by JH »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about HSH Pickup combination
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 02:49:48 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!

For your styles, the suggested pickup combination is very appropriate. If you have access to a Schaller/Eyb Megaswitch E type, that would give you the following combinations and easy wiring:

#1 Bridge humbucker
#2 Bridge pickup neck side coil plus middle
#3 Bridge pickup bridge side coil plus neck pickup neck side coil (telecaster type tone)
#4 Middle pickup plus neck pickup neck side coil
#5 Neck humbucker

All combinations should be humcancelling with a regular middle pickup, thus no need for RW/RP.

If you want the option of the middle pickup alone or - as in some of the Ibanez wirings - both humbuckers together, then this is best accomplished with a 5-way 4-pole switch (aka "super switch").

And by the way, your English is fine.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline JH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 10:14:05 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!

For your styles, the suggested pickup combination is very appropriate. If you have access to a Schaller/Eyb Megaswitch E type, that would give you the following combinations and easy wiring:

#1 Bridge humbucker
#2 Bridge pickup neck side coil plus middle
#3 Bridge pickup bridge side coil plus neck pickup neck side coil (telecaster type tone)
#4 Middle pickup plus neck pickup neck side coil
#5 Neck humbucker

All combinations should be humcancelling with a regular middle pickup, thus no need for RW/RP.

If you want the option of the middle pickup alone or - as in some of the Ibanez wirings - both humbuckers together, then this is best accomplished with a 5-way 4-pole switch (aka "super switch").

And by the way, your English is fine.

Cheers Stephan

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Offline Slartibartfarst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 04:40:37 AM »
Stephan seems to have dealt with this very well, so I will simply say that your pickup choice is perfect. I'm putting a Super Distortion into an alder bodied guitar myself and I really can't wait for it to arrive. Sadly, due to the current supply problems, it's still a month or two away from being here.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »
The pickup combo sounds pretty good, the neck and bridge combo has been tried and tested for quite some time. The middle pickup is fine but you really have to ask yourself how often you use it. I used to swap out the middle pickup in all my HSH guitars and then realized 90% of the time I'm either on the neck or the bridge and just now no longer bother swapping out the middle unless I find it atrocious and not something I can work with.

You don't need a RWRP middle but you may have to reverse the wiring on the pickup.

Another option for the neck pickup would be the Bluesbucker but that might just be my personal preference of it over the PAF Pro for me as I like the added clarity.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter