Single between a Super Distortion and a PAF Pro

• 9 Replies

Offline TooMuchGear

• View Profile
Single between a Super Distortion and a PAF Pro
« on: June 02, 2021, 12:20:35 PM »
Hi all,

I have a Strat specifically for when I want to get my 80’s hair rock tones on.  In the bridge is a Super Distortion and in the neck is a PAF Pro.  They work great but I clearly have the wrong pickup in the middle position with a Duncan Alnico 2 Pro for Strat.  I thought it would warm things up for positions 2 and 4 but the output is way too low.

I’m leaning towards either an SDS-1 as it won’t have an issue keeping up and the hex heads would match and look cool.  It might be a little too hot though.  The other one is the FS-1 but with a resistance of 15K I’m really unsure in this one.

Any experience out there?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Single between a Super Distortion and a PAF Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 04:01:01 PM »
I haven't tried using an SDS-1 in the middle but I can see it working out. You can always lower the pickup to reduce the output if you find that it's too hot.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 02:14:31 AM »
It depends on what you use the middle pickup for and what you want to achieve with it.

Do you use it together with either of the humbuckers split (e.g. for clean)? Your existing pickup could probably do it. If the output is too low, Injector neck, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 or even Injector bridge could work.

Do you use it alone e.g. for an alternate lead tone and want it to keep up with either of the humbuckers? In that case SDS-1 would do it.

"Hair rock tones" insofar is too general as description since in many hair rock songs, there are clean tones done with #2 or #4 settings of a strat (so on Whitesnake's "1987" album).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DonP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 01:19:58 PM »
I went with a cheap quick pickup (GFS, A2 magnet, 6K, not sure which model) between the Super D and PAF in my Murray strat. The output was low, so I experimented with pickup heights and found an OK setting. I still have an issue of the GFS being out of phase with the Super D (but seems ok with the PAF - go figure).

When I re-wire, I may go with a Duncan SSL-1 I just picked up. This may be good or an SSL-5 might be good. I'm still learning DiMarzio singles.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 10:28:56 AM »
Strange that it's out of phase with the Super D but not the PAF. Sounds like either one of the humbuckers might be reverse wound or the PAF is also out of phase but you just don't notice it as much.

I'd say try flipping the wiring on the GFS single to see if that fixes the everything. Whether it would be better than the Duncan SSL-1 is hard to say but if flipping the wires on the GFS improves the sound, you'd give it a fair chance when comparing.

Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »
Try flipping the hot and ground connections of the Super D and see if the problem persists.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 07:41:49 AM »
"Do you use it together with either of the humbuckers split (e.g. for clean)? Your existing pickup could probably do it. If the output is too low, Injector neck, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 or even Injector bridge could work."

I second this one. I just recently put a hb2 in the mid position on my RG and it is plenty healthy to keep up with the humbuckers, still sounds like a single coil, and has less magnetic pull than the A5 true single that was in it. Also, at least to my ears, the hb2 likes a 500k pot.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

BluesJam

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 02:12:52 AM »
 Some people use a very hot single coil and lower it down to give some space to pick.  The Vai single coil models could work too, since they are designed for HSH wiring.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 04:21:40 PM »
Some people use a very hot single coil and lower it down to give some space to pick.  The Vai single coil models could work too, since they are designed for HSH wiring.
Hear Hear! Good suggestion. Didn't even think about those at all.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline Slartibartfarst

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 11:58:52 PM »
How about a Virtual Solo? It should be hot enough to keep up reasonably well and maintains more of a proper singlecoil tone. I used it in the bridge position of a Strat and I was very impressed. I could see it working well as a middle pickup with those two humbuckers.