Single coil like bluesbucker split

• 2 Replies

Offline ezra87d

• View Profile
Single coil like bluesbucker split
« on: May 23, 2021, 04:49:41 AM »
Hi,
I've been using a bluesbucker on both neck and bridge of my main guitar (both pickups with the screw coil toward the neck) and the sound it's amazing!
I use them 80% of the time in the split configuration though so I wonder, which dimarzio single coil sounds closers to the bluesbucker splitted?
I would really like a single coil like that on my other guitar (classic stratocaster 3 sc).

Thank you :)
Music is life

BluesJam

Re: Single coil like bluesbucker split
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 09:32:21 PM »
Probably none.  Humbucker bobbins are an entirely a different shape/design than a single coil pickup.  True velvets will give a typical Fender single coil tone, Red Velvets are more strident tele like, with the plate on the bottom of the pickup.  The FS1, is an overwound single coils with a stronger mid punch, which is a thicker sounding single coil.  This makes a nice pickup in the bridge position, not wimpy and tames the high end of a vintage single coil. I have the FS1 and I think it’s great.  It’s 14K resistance, but that’s do to the thinner gauge wire.  It’s not a hot pickup, but it will hang with a Vintage output PAF.

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
Re: Single coil like bluesbucker split
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 08:08:30 AM »
To my ears, the Bluesbucker is a ceramic pickup that goes for a pseudo SRV sound when split and, even then, is hotter than most neck single coils. Dimarzio doesn’t really make an equivalent ceramic single coil that aims for that sound. I’d be curious to read what Blucher prescribes. That all being said, any “Texas” style neck single coil should get you somewhere in the ballpark.