Any chance of a stickied DiMarzio Mods post?

• 35 Replies

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Any chance of a stickied DiMarzio Mods post?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2021, 02:48:05 PM »
Has anybody tried swapping hex/allen head pole pieces for screw pole pieces in any pups ?

I believe someone has tried that in the past with mixed results. I'll have to see about digging it up. If I recall, swapping the screw piece with the hex would narrow the magnetic field generated by the pickup and change the inductance/resistance a bit. The results would most likely vary from pickup to pickup but would be a worthwhile mod to test out.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 05:47:11 AM »
I’ve swapped screw types and lengths. Swapping magnets makes far more of a difference.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2022, 08:50:13 AM »
I agree - I temporarily exchanged the screws in a Bluesbucker with hex screws and did not notice much of a change.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2023, 04:40:59 PM »
[...]

Super 2 in the neck: Remove all poles from neck side coil. Result:  Sounds like a big, loud single coil.  Loud enough to easily keep up with a mid range bucker in the bridge (Air Zone, AT-1, etc.).  Tight, bright, but with output no single can cop. 

I tryed your mod on my Les Paul : Super 2 neck pup, poles under the 3 bass strings removed. Works great as expected. Thanks for that awesome trick !

Actually this pickup has a PAF style cover installed, and I wonder what would be the result if I remove the poles which are hidden under the cover instead of the visible ones.
What do you think ?

I have to give this mod a try sometime. Sounds promising.

As for removing the poles under the cover, those are typically slugs and not screw poles so you're going to have a much harder time with those since they can't easily be screwed out. Worth a try though. Let us know if if you attempt it and it's results

Slugs are quite easy to remove.  The only thing that might give you an issue is the wax potting may give some resistance.  Chop sticks can poke em right out of the bobbin, I do it all the time.

Offline nienturi

• AlNiCo IV Zone
    • View Profile
    • Tone Journey
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2023, 02:47:09 AM »
I've swapped the ceramic magnet out of dimarzio/ibz and i had one of the clearest neck humbuckers.

https://darthphineas.com/2019/07/humbucker-modifications/

It totally opens up a lot.
https://www.tonejourney.com
Everything and everyone about the Guitar; Honest, reliable and detailed reviews of guitar pickups, electric guitars & equipment and special interviews

Offline frankencat

• View Profile
    • Slamo Custom Guitars
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2023, 01:15:28 PM »
Has anybody done and Alnico 2 or 4 in a Norton? It’s cool as is but in my PRS CU24 it’s a slightly bright and a touch honky. I think an A4 might be perfect, just curious if anyone has tried it.
Owner:
Slamo Custom Guitars
Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish
www.slamocustomguitars.com