DImarzio Area Magnet Swap

• 2 Replies

Offline frankencat

• View Profile
    • Slamo Custom Guitars
DImarzio Area Magnet Swap
« on: November 26, 2023, 07:30:28 PM »
Has anyone ever done a magnet swap in an Area pickup? I would like to know what the Virtual Solo sounds like with Alnico 2 poles. Thanks!
Owner:
Slamo Custom Guitars
Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish
www.slamocustomguitars.com

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DImarzio Area Magnet Swap
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 04:08:02 AM »
If they are constructed in a similar way as normal single coils where the winding is wound around the magnets then a swap is not possible. But I never attempted to change magnet rods in a single coil.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline gregr

• View Profile
Re: DImarzio Area Magnet Swap
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 07:33:20 PM »
DCR is far from the be-all-end-all but the spec of the Solo is pretty close to that of the Injector Bridge which uses A2 slugs. I’m assuming the same gauge(s) and a similar ratios. It may also be that the Injector has more metal within the coils (by way of the Virtual Vintage tech) in order to boost its output, but this is entirely speculation on my part.

Seeing that you’ll likely damage the coil(s) by removing the slugs, a custom order would be your best bet. I’d get in touch with DiMarzio.
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids