No love for Kinman Humbuckers ??

• 5 Replies

Offline nynemusic

• View Profile
No love for Kinman Humbuckers ??
« on: August 03, 2016, 09:11:56 AM »
Interested in their HSS set with the PAF 59' LPS and Avn69 Single coils.
Any opinions, comparisons ?
They are expensive and seems their noiseless singles and P90's are their top sellers.

btw, the Kinman HSS is up against a Bare Knuckle Crawler/Irish Tour/Irish Tour set, but that will go in a Kinman Harness as well, in a Warmoth Strat build.

Will appreciate your thoughts and opinions.
Thanks

ps: long time Dimarzio user! keeping my Dimz, just looking at some new options as well!

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: No love for Kinman Humbuckers ??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »
No money for Kinman Humbuckers...
I've never heard anything that would make me want to pay an extra 60 dollars above what I can get from Dimarzio or Duncan.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:42:39 AM »
Tried them, was unimpressed.  The ones that are supposed to sound like humbuckers are....just ok.  The ones that are supposed to sound like P90s or single coils, well, same issue I have with a lot of his noiseless single coils.  The frequency response seems to drop like a stone past a certain point, and while on first impression they sound ok, that lack of "air" frequencies makes the pick attack kind of off, and ends up killing the feel of the thing. 

Same thing with his noiseless P90s.  They sound great at first, but they suffer again from that lack of extended frequency response, and eventually the stiff feel they imparted made me ditch them.  They do sound rather like P90s, but just not right on the extended highs.  I ended up putting a DLXplus set in that guitar, with the screws removed from one of the coils on the neck pickup.  Even though much darker than the Kinmans and certainly not traditional P90 sounding, they "played easier".  Even with the screws pulled from one coil that DLX plus neck is dark, but it didn't suffer from the extended high end drop off the much "brighter" kinman does, and so it doesn't make the pick attack stiff.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 04:23:33 AM »
Have not tried his humbuckers yet and probably will not in the foreseeable future as my humbucker needs are covered at the moment.

I have a set of his P90s (Nasty Bridge and Regular Neck) which replaced the stock Duncan set in a Hamer Artist Korina. Huge improvement over the stock pickups both in tone and feel. So far I did not notice a stiffness with them but I did notice that with other Kinman pickups, mostly with the Hank Marvin strat set.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 07:29:51 PM »
Just an addendum to the above: 

I put screws back in the other coil of the DLX neck, but used the hex screws from a Duncan Full Shred.  Then I wired the pickup in parallel instead of series.

Result:  YES.  Very nice sounding pickup done this way, very single coil in nature, now sounds very much like a P90, but doesn't suffer from that lack of extended high end that made the Kinmans stiff.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »
I put screws back in the other coil of the DLX neck, but used the hex screws from a Duncan Full Shred.  Then I wired the pickup in parallel instead of series.

Result:  YES.  Very nice sounding pickup done this way, very single coil in nature, now sounds very much like a P90, but doesn't suffer from that lack of extended high end that made the Kinmans stiff.

Very interesting indeed. I have a P90 equipped guitar that still has a humming neck pickup ... and hex screws are quite easy to get.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b