Mansonia body & set maple/rosewood neck- SUGGESTIONS on 2 humbackers plz

• 6 Replies

Offline doremifasoll

• View Profile
Bought a stock handmade instrument (PRS style 25' inch scale)  with a set of 2 passive EMG HZ which I need to change. This guitar is very resonant and loud unplugged with lots of percussive highs, BUT when plugged the mud in the low frequencies jumps out and makes the attack less responsive (unlike what I hear acoustically).

I need clarity in attack and pronounced midrange that cuts through and allows outlining voicings and inversions with medium-high gain (Engl Powerball II, 6505, Mark V).

Leaning towards the Super 2/ D-Activator neck/ Steve Morse for the bridge
and have no idea what to use for the neck. Advice please.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Mansonia body & set maple/rosewood neck- SUGGESTIONS on 2 humbackers plz
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:03:12 PM »
Norton in the bridge, PAF Pro in the neck.

Offline doremifasoll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:15:12 PM »

I have a JB and it sounds more open and clear than the 'round' Norton in the videos I've heard.
I wand to focus the sound on attack, mids and highs and dampen bass- push the instrument towards the modern prog metal sound. If the goal was to make it an overall session instrument would be much easier with all the 'classic' choices.

What do You think about Super 2 in the bridge and what neck would make it sound less spread and warm? 

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:59:04 PM »

in the videos I've heard.

Please consider being judicious when checking out videos for any brand/model to seek out the best quality and to be certain of the type of amp being used as well as how all factors relate to what is being sought.

It sounds like you are leaning toward the Super 2. If you are buying new, you will have the exchange policy if the Super 2 doesn't work out and a better reference for moving forward.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline deep_blue_hexagon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:16:48 AM »
Maybe fred or d sonic or mo'joe in bridge and fred or bluesbucker in neck will be ok .

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »
The Satch are a bit like product improved PAF voicings with a little more oomph. I like  them both, with the Mo Joe being my fave of the two.

For more prog Rock/metal, options could include the Dominion, the D Activator, and the Mega Drive.

Some left field options might be the Titan (which is much more versatile than expected) or the Illuminator (which is almost like a middle ground between the Titan and the Crunch Lab).

I
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:23:44 PM »

I have a JB and it sounds more open and clear than the 'round' Norton in the videos I've heard.
I wand to focus the sound on attack, mids and highs and dampen bass- push the instrument towards the modern prog metal sound. If the goal was to make it an overall session instrument would be much easier with all the 'classic' choices.

What do You think about Super 2 in the bridge and what neck would make it sound less spread and warm?
The Super 2 is gonna be hella bright in the bridge but maybe it works in your guitar, I dunno. I love it in the neck though, awesome shred tones to be had. Give it a shot.