Lace Alumitones, anyone?

• 2 Replies

marcwormjim

Lace Alumitones, anyone?
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:41:46 PM »
I have a set of standard Alumitones coming on Tuesday. Search turned up a dearth of feedback here.

I'll be putting them in a Steinberger Spirit with 1 vol, 1 tone (both 250k with whatever spare capacitor I have around) and a Schaller E-Megaswitch for

1. Neck full, 2. Neck tapped, 3. Neck tap - Bridge tap, 4. Bridge tapped, 5. Bridge full.

I forwent typing "series/split" because they're technically single-coils.

Hope someone else chimes in - I've found my favorite passive bridge/neck combo ever with the Kiesel Holdsworth and Satch Track; and I'd love for the Alumitones to win me over in an apples/oranges comparison.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Lace Alumitones, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »
Sorry maybe I'm still half asleep.. but what's the question? O__o
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline eclecticsynergy

• View Profile
Re: Lace Alumitones, anyone?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:51:22 AM »
I'd be interested in any opinions & reviews on these, too. There's very little to go on. The thing I find most interesting is that because of the unusual design, it's been said that there is no drop in level when they're split. This is unheard-of and would be a huge plus- if they sound good to begin with.

Gotta hand it to Don Lace; he's come up with some really unorthodox ideas and made them work pretty well. It's mostly been in the area of the sensor singlecoils, but I'm very curious about his humbuckers. Found a glowing review of the Deathbucker (which caught my interest about the full volume when split) but that's way too hot for me. I prefer vintage or medium output pickups, so I don't need to tweak my rig when I switch guitars.

Have seen reviews from folks who didn't like the Alumitone series very much at all. Still, with a radically different design it's hard to tell whether it's actually poor sounding, or if perhaps it's just so unfamiliar that people don't know how to get the best out of it yet. I'd like to give these the benefit of the doubt until I have more information. But there's so little being written on the subject...

So if anyone's using these or tried them out, by all means please let us all know how you feel about 'em!